Star Lounger
    Thanks

Clean install of Windows 10

I have a pretty well running HP desktop, year 2012. I checked for Windows 10 on the MS site and there is no problem running Windows 10. Originally, the PC came with W 7 which I upgraded from a disk to the 64-bit W 8 Pro, and then later upgraded to W 8.1 Pro. Still running pretty well, BUT I suspect some sort of corruption though I cannot define it, as I said it is a suspicion. For instance, I cannot get the Credential Manager in Control Panel to work (there is no chance to get it to work, I already asked here). However, despite the fact all passwords etc. are working fine. This only as an explanation. There are other things happening.

By July 29, MS makes W 10 available through Windows Update. I already "reserved" the copy and when everything goes right I can upgrade from W8.1 Pro to W 10 Pro. However, based on my above described suspicion I would like to do a clean install instead of the upgrade. I know, it means a lot of work but in this case it may prove worthwhile. My question: is there a clear answer or instruction how to clean install W 10? Opinions are no good enough because there would be many.

jwoods
    Currently, Microsoft is offering Windows 10 as a downloadable upgrade only, which means a valid previous version product key would need to exist, either as an installed product, or "in-hand".

For example, it is not clear (from MS) how users who installed Windows 10 as a preview and have no other OS on their system will be able to upgrade to the release with no previous product installed.

A Windows 10 ISO will be an option, but MS has not released when these will be available, or how they will be obtained.

Long story short, there is no clear answer yet.

jwoods
    As an addendum, you might try a nondestructive re-install of Windows 8.1...

https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructi...8-and-8-1.html

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. So, MS leaves us alone again. I do hope they will have an ISO option available. Have to wait and see what will happen. Meanwhile I will study the explanations on the website quoted here.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by MKR View Post
    Thanks for your reply. So, MS leaves us alone again. I do hope they will have an ISO option available. Have to wait and see what will happen. Meanwhile I will study the explanations on the website quoted here.
    There are a few graphics bouncing around the forum that show both download and ISO options for most versions.

These MS FAQ's say there will be a way to clean install, just not how. See the FAQ "Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?"

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...ation_mod2_faq

I personally will wait for an ISO...I'm in no rush.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-17 at 20:39.