Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Administrator cannot alter desktop

If I am logged in as the Admin, I cannot access Desktop Icons to turn them on or off. I get a message that there is no program associated with the menu selection.

Strange.

Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Chuck,

You're getting this when you Rt Clk on the Desktop to Show or Not Show Desktop icons??

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43737

Thanks
    I was so pleased that the error had gone away that I just went and tried it again -- and NOW I'm getting the error again.

I right-click the desktop (logged in as Admin) looking for Personalization / Themes, and I get the error.

Sigh...
    ---
    Drew, I WAS getting it when I went to Settings / Personalization and tried to find and go to Themes / Desktop Icons.

I WAS getting the error. Since I posted initially, I updated my drivers via Driver Genius (and for once now I have ALL drivers for ALL hardware and software with no "Unknowns").

I just went now, thinking I should verify the command "path" I had used, and now it's working -- first time in a couple weeks. I think I had even posted about this prior.

Ah me, the joys of beta-testing!

Thanks, Drew.

Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2015-06-18 at 05:22.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Chuck,

Yes, they, betas, can have inexplicable erratic behavior sometimes. Notice, also, even w/out new Builds, things that were not working or working properly are one day discovered to be okay. Work is being done constantly & things can change due to this on an on-going basis 'behind the scenes' so to speak... fixes & more keep coming via WU; and during any one Build. Anyway, kewl that issue you had is alright, now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just as an aside... it's interesting that IN FORUMS there are some w/ a good attitude & anxiousness towards Win10 coming but, negativity or not grasping Win10 shows a lot in Forums, too. Yet 'on the street', speaking face to face w/ people there is real excitement and anticipation towards Windows 10. And they even understand the Free Upgrade Offer correctly & are keen for the day they can do it.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43739
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-06-18 at 05:55.

Thanks
    You are right Drew. There seems to be a building of anticipation over "10." It seems worth the hype, too.

Chuck

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    You are right Drew. There seems to be a building of anticipation over "10." It seems worth the hype, too.

Chuck
    Yes, it does.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43817

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Win 10 thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Yes, it does.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Still having doubts about cost after July 2016 subscription service? I know Microsoft says FREE UPGRADE and no follow-on costs. I have been in this business for 27 years and I haven't seen Microsoft give ANYTHING away. Even if the cost of the upgrade was a paltry $100.00 per copy and they reach their goal of 1 Billion computers upgraded that is $100 Billion dollars of lost revenue. Bill Gates and company just don't throw away that kind of money. Now they are telling us if you are a beta tester you will not get a free upgrade to the RTM but have to stay on the beta programs forever. Also, if you have a Win 7 computer it may or may not qualify for a free upgrade. Very fuzzy about OEM copies of Win 7 also. When is the other shoe going to drop?
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-06-25 at 13:57.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    It is not being given away to a billion Users. It is only free if using the Upgrade install method and only to Users already in possession of W7 SP1 or W8.1 and only for the life of (that) one machine.. Anything else is not free but, requires buying it not, subscribing.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43857

New Lounger
    Thanks

WIN 10 uPGRADE

Call it what you want -Microsoft Win 10 Program Manager is gushing that they are shooting for 1 Billion upgrades by July 2016. Now, if there was no free upgrades how many people do you think would run out and buy it? A thousand? 10,000? 100,000? whatever the number it would be cash in Microsoft's pocket -but not this way. On the surface. Call me cautious, but I am a wait and see person - talk to me in September 2016 and lets see what happens. I personally have told all my Win 7 users to stick with what they have. My Win 8/8.1 customers should consider upgrading as Win 8/8.1 is such a delightful OS. Win 8.1 was branded as a free upgrade also (you can put a bow on a pig -but it is still a pig). One of the things I don't like about Win 10 is the inability to turn off Automatic updates. As we know, Microsoft has put out some doosy updates that have at the least locked up the machines and at the worst forced a re-install of the OS. I can see that I will have lots of work in the future (job security). Interesting though, the Enterprise version of Win 10 will have the ability to postpone the automatic updates, Microsoft wants the paying [read subscription service] customers to be able turn them off just in case they make a mistake when the issue an update (we are told that there is going to be lots of updates in the weeks following the FREE Upgrade). Sorry, I just won't drink the Kool Aid that Microsoft is serving right now. Let's wait and see -maybe it will be all wonderful and pigs will fly. I will apologize if I am wrong -but you will have to wait until September 2016. Please don't take this as a slam directed towards you - I am just a non-believer right now.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    The Update scenario to which you refer only applies to Home not Pro.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43861

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Exactly. And that is the only thing that is going to be a free upgrade is Home. Pro is for the subscription people. That is the best data that I have seen. So much of this update is smoke and mirrors. New changes and "clarifications" come out almost daily. If you have an OEM win 7 computer it may or may not be suitable for the Free Upgrade. If your a Beta tester you don't get the free upgrade for the computer you have Win 10 on just more versions of the "beta" forever. What happens if you go for the upgrade and then don't like it and want to go back to Win 7? Can you reinstall your copy of win 7 and get it Activated after 30 days? Not so by what I have read. You have 30 days to decide and then you can roll the update back. But how about reinstalling Win 7 after that time. Since part of the reservation process is to determine if your computer qualifies for the Free Upgrade by Microsoft. They at that time must capture your product code for Win 7 and put it on a list. Will they reactivate it? That is a question only Microsoft can answer and as far as I know they haven't.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Win 7 SP1 Pro & Win 8.1 Pro both qualify for the free upgrade. As long as you have SP1 installed on a Win7 activated PC you are eligible for the upgrade. Whether or not all your hardware will support it is the other question. Part of the reservation process is to run a upgrade compatibility check. The people who upgraded from XP or Vista and are running the Win10 Insider Preview are not eligible for the upgrade. Only those with a valid Win7 SP1 or Win8.1 system are eligible for the free upgrade. Those who are not eligible may continue in the Insider Program and will receive releases for whichever ring they configured. I don't know where you read not being able to go back to Win7. Please post the source.

See Windows 10 specifications for the official Microsoft page about upgrading.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, apologies for being a bit slow here. I have read, and understand, that the free upgrade is based upon a valid "7" or "8" install. In my case, since I have "reset" a few times, I THINK my current setup is "pure 10." Will I need to re-install 7 to qualify for the upgrade? And from there, as I understand it, I'd be able to do a clean install?

I just read the page, and I get that it will be an "upgrade" process. Will that mean that each time (God willing, not TOO often) I need to re-install, I'll have to install "7" first and then upgrade it?

Regards,
    Chuck

Chuck

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrguy View Post
    Exactly. And that is the only thing that is going to be a free upgrade is Home. Pro is for the subscription people. That is the best data that I have seen. So much of this update is smoke and mirrors. New changes and "clarifications" come out almost daily. If you have an OEM win 7 computer it may or may not be suitable for the Free Upgrade. If your a Beta tester you don't get the free upgrade for the computer you have Win 10 on just more versions of the "beta" forever. What happens if you go for the upgrade and then don't like it and want to go back to Win 7? Can you reinstall your copy of win 7 and get it Activated after 30 days? Not so by what I have read. You have 30 days to decide and then you can roll the update back. But how about reinstalling Win 7 after that time. Since part of the reservation process is to determine if your computer qualifies for the Free Upgrade by Microsoft. They at that time must capture your product code for Win 7 and put it on a list. Will they reactivate it? That is a question only Microsoft can answer and as far as I know they haven't.
    No, no, man. There is no subscription for anybody or any version. The OS is purchased not subscribed!!

And, yes, people are going to be able to revert (no idea why they would or would want that) BUT, they do not get a free 2nd chance @ Windows 10.

Don't know where you are getting your info or maybe it's just hearsay.

But to repeat:
    W7 SP1 & W8.1 are eligible for a free Upgrade, all versions, Starter, Home & Pro. Once on Win10 Home, only, receives Updates 'automatically'; Not the case for W10 Pro.

You were talking about Windows Updates. Then you went to the Free Upgrade offer. We must be mindful not to mix the 2 things up together.

Careful not to have a cynical view or pessimism cloud your vision. Plus doesn't help that likely there is a lot of bad info floating about & hard to know what's credible.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43870

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Joe, apologies for being a bit slow here. I have read, and understand, that the free upgrade is based upon a valid "7" or "8" install. In my case, since I have "reset" a few times, I THINK my current setup is "pure 10." Will I need to re-install 7 to qualify for the upgrade? And from there, as I understand it, I'd be able to do a clean install?

I just read the page, and I get that it will be an "upgrade" process. Will that mean that each time (God willing, not TOO often) I need to re-install, I'll have to install "7" first and then upgrade it?

Regards,
    Chuck

Chuck
    No, Chuck! Here's how it goes... One does the Upgrade type of installation of Win10 for free IF they have W7 SP1 or W8.1 on the drive, already, 1st. Once the machine is now Win10 it can be re-installed using Custom Install (clean) countless times on that same machine. The original 7 SP1 or 8.1 does not have to be re-installed 1st (anymore).

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43871

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast