Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Question Product key for Win10 upgrade

When you upgrade to Windows 10, do you get a new Windows 10 Product key, or do you keep your old Win7/Win8 key?

My laptop came with Windows 8 installed. At some point, I upgraded to Windows 8.1, and will probably upgrade to Windows 10 someday. If I have to reinstall my OS, will I be able to just install Windows 10, or will I need to reinstall Windows 8 and then do a two step upgrade?

When I upgrade to Windows 10, will it upgrade the hidden 'install' partition on my HD? Will this have a new Product Key?

If I ever need to replace my HD, will I be able to install Windows 10 from an install disk? What Product key will I need? Or will I have to pay for a new OS?

Thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I can't see MS updating your install partition because that is manufacturer specific.
    If you need to replace your hard disk just use one of the backup programs to make a disk image - you should already do this.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...backup-program

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You will be able to download an ISO and burn it to a DVD. You'll also be able to do a Refresh or a Reset.

Joe

Thanks
    When you upgrade to Windows 10, do you get a new Windows 10 Product key, or do you keep your old Win7/Win8 key?
    Who knows how that'll play out just yet, hopefully Windows 10 will have it's own product key that's not related to an upgrade offer,
    like W8 had been, and that a TRUE bootable clean install from an ISO can be done if needed.

But yes, definitely make your pre upgrade images, and do download a W10 ISO when it comes out, and make that bootable DVD out of it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Who knows how that'll play out just yet, hopefully Windows 10 will have it's own product key that's not related to an upgrade offer,
    like W8 had been, and that a TRUE bootable clean install from an ISO can be done if needed.

But yes, definitely make your pre upgrade images, and do download a W10 ISO when it comes out, and make that bootable DVD out of it.
    According to the current Windows 10 FAQ section "Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading? " it will be possible.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...ation_mod2_faq

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Re, system images of previous install.

While I don't know how restoring Win 8.1 with a system image from an external HDD works, with Win 7 you have to boot up with a Win 7 Repair disk to navigate to the RE.

Any opinions if a Win 7 Repair disk would get you to the same options after Win 10 has been installed or will Win 10 have its own Repair disk to boot up with ?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Unless told differently by a knowledgeable Microsoft person, I'd plan on creating a Win10 repair disk. Better to take the time to do that than not have it if you need it.

Joe

Thanks
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.
    How many times do we have to say that, before people start to get the message?
    It's not that difficult of a concept. Really! I've been doing it for 35 years.

I never do anything with my computer, without first making a full backup of my C: drive and storing it in a safe place, on another drive. I've already cloned my Windows 8.1 drive, in preparation for the Windows 10 upgrade from MS. An ounce of prevention.......etc. etc. etc.

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    The following extract from the link provided in post #5 above is of particular relevance to many, IMHO:

"Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?"

"Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded."
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi & welcome to the Forum.

You get a new Win10 Key. You get, will get the ISO; if you ever have to re-install, on that same machine. Yes, the Recovery Partition becomes Win10's.

Would be working w/ 10 (now); no "2-step upgrade back to 8.0 or 8.1.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43809

Banned Member
    Thanks
    "Unless told differently by a knowledgeable Microsoft person, I'd plan on creating a Win10 repair disk. Better to take the time to do that than not have it if you need it."

Or can use it's ISO. Although, burning Recovery discs is never a bad practices or idea, of course.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43810

New Lounger
    Thanks

Wink Print your hidden Windows 8.1 or 10 product key

When you buy that new computer running Windows 8 there is a product key associated with that operating system. The same applies to the 8.1 upgrade and Microsofts most recent upgrade to Windows 10.

A good practice before doing any upgrade is to retrieve your product key that belongs to each operating system, especially if you do not have it physically somewhere on a key card or piece of paper.

The easiest way to do this is to run a profile scan of your computer with this free tool from http://www.belarc.com it will scan your computer and generate a report that will display in your Web browser. From there you will have the option to print the profile generated from the scan of your computer, or you can just scroll down and write your product key down. I do this before each upgrade.

So basically if you just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 and want the product key for 10 just run the Belarc tool. The Belarc tool must first be installed to generate a report. If you wanted the key from 8.1 after you have already upgraded to 10 it's too late unless you were to revert back to your prior operating system, which Microsoft only gives you 30 days from installing the windows 10 upgrade to do so.

Because Windows 10 was built on Windows 8.1 build platform you will notice on the Belarc report the your product key will be listed as Windows 8.1 as shocking as that is it honestly is Windows 10, Microsoft didn't care how the keys wording was to be displayed because they had no plans on ever telling you how to retrieve your key for future refrence. But on a clean install you will need this key.

So do yourself a favor if you haven't already and go get the tool from Belarcs site, save the tool to your pc and install it, share it with your friends and make them aware also and print that key and keep it somewhere safe...

Your welcome ;-)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Penny View Post
    When you buy that new computer running Windows 8 there is a product key associated with that operating system. The same applies to the 8.1 upgrade and Microsofts most recent upgrade to Windows 10.

A good practice before doing any upgrade is to retrieve your product key that belongs to each operating system, especially if you do not have it physically somewhere on a key card or piece of paper.

The easiest way to do this is to run a profile scan of your computer with this free tool from http://www.belarc.com it will scan your computer and generate a report that will display in your Web browser. From there you will have the option to print the profile generated from the scan of your computer, or you can just scroll down and write your product key down. I do this before each upgrade.

So basically if you just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 and want the product key for 10 just run the Belarc tool. The Belarc tool must first be installed to generate a report. If you wanted the key from 8.1 after you have already upgraded to 10 it's too late unless you were to revert back to your prior operating system, which Microsoft only gives you 30 days from installing the windows 10 upgrade to do so.

Because Windows 10 was built on Windows 8.1 build platform you will notice on the Belarc report the your product key will be listed as Windows 8.1 as shocking as that is it honestly is Windows 10, Microsoft didn't care how the keys wording was to be displayed because they had no plans on ever telling you how to retrieve your key for future refrence. But on a clean install you will need this key.

So do yourself a favor if you haven't already and go get the tool from Belarcs site, save the tool to your pc and install it, share it with your friends and make them aware also and print that key and keep it somewhere safe...

Your welcome ;-)
    I saw this discussed on another forum and Belarc v8.5a now does recognise Win 10 on an 8.1 system.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    You get a new Win10 Key.
    FWIW, both "Elevated Command Prompt":>slmgr /dlv and Belarc report that my Windows 10 Product Key is the IP 10240 Product Key, the last group being 3V66T.

From the reading I've done, what one gets is a unique hardware ID. If one wishes to do a clean install of Windows 10 after upgrading, Windows is recognized as valid through this unique hardware ID stored on the MS servers, not necessarily through the Product Key.

The desktop from which I am posting this has been upgraded twice to Windows 10 Pro, the first being My Next Challenge. That first upgrade ran afoul of Windows Activation IMO because of my unsupported installation of Windows 7, and I bought a license via the Store, which indeed had a unique Product Key.

The second upgrade, Piece of Cake, however, sailed through without incident, and was recognized as valid and activated. This machine has not been involved in the Windows Insider program except through a Hyper V VM, no direct installation of Windows Insider Windows 10 preview. The one thing that all three have in common is my MS account being used as my created account in the Administrators group.

To sum up, two desktops and one laptop all have the same Product Key, the last group being 3V66T, and the Windows Software licensing service version is shown as 10.0.10240.16384 via slmgr /dlv. This seems logical since the upgrade is officially issued via the Windows Update channel.

This all seems reasonable, since the MS instructions for doing a clean install after upgrading to Windows 10 specifically say that entering a Product Key is not necessary.

As always, YMMV.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Penny View Post

Your welcome ;-)
    It's pointless for Windows 10 upgrades though:

No license key is needed to update from 7/8/8.1/10TP to 10.

On Windows 10 upgrades we now all have the same license key (as activation is now via hardware ID).

There's currently no difference between Windows 10 and Insider Preview; they're all 10.0.10240.16384 and can be opted in/out of preview builds.

My license key for Windows 10 Pro (updated from 8.1) AND Windows 10 Pro (Insider Preview) is VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T. What's yours?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast