5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Permission from TrustedInstaller

I have a Windows 7 Pro 32-bit desktop on which I signed up for the Windows 10 Insider Preview
    --- But now I want to get rid of anything Windows 10 on this computer because Iím going to get a laptop solely for Windows 10 as I don't want to be limited to just using Windows 10 at home

Iíve used How to Remove ďGet Windows 10″ App and Its Icon from Taskbar?
    http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-g...-from-taskbar/ with great success except for trying to delete C:\Windows\System32\GWX mentioned in Method 5 because I need permission from TrustedInstaller
    Method 5: Delete the "Get Windows 10" app Files and Folder.
    Although after using the above-mentioned method, you'll no longer see "Get Windows 10" app and its icon in Windows but if you are still worried about the app, you can delete its executable file and its folder to remove it completely from your computer:
    --- The "Get Windows 10" app executable file is GWX.exe which is present in following 2 folders:
    --- C:\Windows\System32\GWX & C:\Windows\SysWOW64\GWX (in 64-bit systems only).

I have found
    How to Take Ownership (Permission) of a File or Folder Manually in Windows?
    http://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-ta...ly-in-windows/
    &
    Add "Take Ownership" to Context Menu of Files, Folders, and Drives in Windows
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-shortcut.html
    However, Iíd appreciate advice on whether one of them is preferable or maybe another source to get permission from TrustedInstaller
    Plus after deleting C:\Windows\System32\GWX, I wish to revert back to the default ownerships on my computer
    --- If I ever need TrustedInstaller again, Iíll go back and repeat whatever procedure works for me

jwoods
    Actually, all you have to do is follow this guidance in Susan Bradley's Newsletter column on the Windows 10 launch...

To prepare Win7/8 systems for Win10, Microsoft has already released several related updates, some of them with vague descriptions. KB 3035583, for example, adds “capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user.” KB 2952664 for Win7 SP1 makes “improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows.” And KB 2976978 for Windows 8.1 determines “whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed.”

Other Win10-related updates for Win7 and Win 8 include KB 3050265 (Win7), KB 3050267 (Win8.1), and KB 3068708.

If you have no plans to upgrade to Windows 10 soon, none of those updates is needed; they can all be hidden. And if you decide to upgrade to Win10, say, six months from now, there will undoubtedly be new Win7/8 updates to help with that process.

If they're installed, uninstall them (depending on your Windows version), and hide them when they're offered again.

Done.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-18 at 19:03.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-06-19)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks jwoods for an excellent summary. On the information I had found it was helpful and kb2990214 did return at the end of the day as the article mentioned it would and I hid it as recommended. What I don't have confidence in yet is whether or not it will return again just the same in which case I might have to repeat everything else again. I'll be reviewing Susan's article today.