Thanks

Message box that I cannot catch

I'm not sure how to explain this: On some programs, as they start up, Windows will show a message box at the bottom of the screen -- as I recall it relates to accessing features, "Press ^G to do..." -- and one can check the box that says "Don't show this again."

I have one program that has that box flash by whenever the program starts up. It doesn't stay long enough to read it or "turn it off." I tried uninstalling the program itself, but that did nothing. Where is the Windows setting that controls that type of notification?

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    I'm not sure how to explain this: On some programs, as they start up, Windows will show a message box at the bottom of the screen -- as I recall it relates to accessing features, "Press ^G to do..." -- and one can check the box that says "Don't show this again."

I have one program that has that box flash by whenever the program starts up. It doesn't stay long enough to read it or "turn it off." I tried uninstalling the program itself, but that did nothing. Where is the Windows setting that controls that type of notification?

Chuck
    What is the program, name and version? Please keep in mind that no 2 computers are exactly alike, adding only one program makes it different from another. There's so many programs available it's impossible to guess which one a question is about. Does the flash come up during Windows starting or when you click an icon to start the program? As for the setting it usually is in the Options or Preferences of a program, but again we don't know what the program is. Or as someone once posted, don't keep secrets. Also, if the flash is that quick there may be no problem as the program is just setting itself up to be used.

Thanks
    Berton, I went back to a "vanilla" install of "10" and then installed Total Commander -- the culprit -- and the first time it ran it paused so I could read it.

It was a Windows message about how to take screen shots if needed. Once I closed that out, it still comes up when I start the program, but it just flashes by.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    The d--- message finally came on and halted. It was about taking screen shots, and, while it was staying open, there was a "Don't show this again" box to check. Why it never stopped lomng enough before, I dunno, but as long as it's OK now...

Thanks Berton.

Chuck

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    RE: your #4, I didn't see any information about your computer so would speculate that it is too fast for Total Commander. I use the same program and what I see is a panel about the Registration, my name and other information. It stays visible longer when used the first time after a start up/reboot but goes away much faster in subsequent uses.

jwoods
    Total Commander doesn't mention being ready for Windows 10...

http://www.ghisler.com/

That, coupled with Win 10 still being a Beta, could produce unpredictable results.

Thanks
    Theoretically that is true, but TC has given me NO trouble at all -- till this little bump, and once the message stopped and gave me a chance to turn it of, all was and is OK.

Chuck