2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Snipping Tool

Yesterday my Windows Snipping Tool, in Windows 8.1 Pro was working great. Today when I clicked on the app, a menu popped up telling me the app would not work on the OS on my computer. Has this happened to anyone else using this app and if so, how did you correct it? I've been to Windows but can't seem to locate anything.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    SFC worked for one guy years ago: Windows 7: Snipping Tool Error Message - Solution?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    From an earlier Lounge thread, "The F lock key on my keyboard was in the wrong position" - don't know what it means either so I'll have another look

You could try your restore points back to when it was working and do the Scan for affected programs to see if anything is listed. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...-windows-8.htm
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-06-19 at 16:49.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This may sound trite, but it's worth stating. With such a message the implication is that either the Snipping Tool, or Windows, changed. The Snipping Tool is actually part of Windows so we need to account for that.

With that you can start to direct some inquiries:

1). Did you upgrade Windows? Major and even minor upgrades count. That means that the activities of WUS and WSUS also count, and those are very active updating systems. The descriptions given to the automatic patches are very brief and sometimes misleading;

2). Failing that, can you think of any changes to your system, since the last time that the Snipping Tool worked?

Where you go from there is a judgement call. The Snipping Tool isn't usually central and irreplaceable to most work flows. Therefore you can:

1). Assume that this is a bug in the Microsoft patching process. If so it will probably be found and corrected in the next few weeks. And that means you just need to wait it out (though don't wait forever--that's not reasonable either);

2). Keep digging on support sites looking for corroborating stories. This site is good of course. One tactic that is surprisingly effective is to Google the exact error message you get; many times you'll get search matches. The official Microsoft sources are usually the KnowledgeBase, TechNet, MSN. Lately I'm finding a lot of content on the MS social blogs too;

3). Bail and look for an alternative. The Snipping Tool isn't the only game in town, not by a long shot. Some workmates swear by a paid commercial product called SnagIt. There are numerous free tools out there too;

4). Truth be told I mostly live without these tools entirely. Using a combination of the [PrintScreen] and [Alt-PrintScreen] command, I can do 95% of what I need to do. And for much of the rest, importing the screen shot into Paint and doing some minor edits is sufficient. It's not pretty but these tools are available on every Windows system since, well, forever!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This might be a long shot. Right click on the program icon and click on "run as administrator" - then see if a message re compatibility comes up; if so follow the prompts to run it in compatible mode. The other possibility is to use control panel to uninstall it and then install it again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. Somehow the icon for Snipping Tool was corrupted. I went to C:\Windows\System32\SnippingTool.exe and click on it and it worked. So, I made a new shortcut, deleted the one on my desktop, put the new one in my Taskbar and everything now works A-OK! I'm not sure how or why the icon on my Taskbar was corrupted. When I would click on it a blue bar would appear telling me that "this program will not work with your OS." Go figure!