New Lounger
    Thanks

No bios access for a Gigibyte, X99, G1, LGA 2911-3 mother board with i7-5960X

I am asking if anyone has had this problem and how did you fix it?

All of a sudden I can NOT enter the bios on booting by pressing DELETE.
    It boots into win 7 pro with no problem. I need to set up a raid 1 from the bios.

This has a dual bios, switch selectable, but I am concerned (afraid) to try it.

I suppose I could download another bios copy from Gigibyte, load it on a
    flash drive and use the Q-Flash to replace the present copy.

jwoods
    Try the following...

Power the computer off.

Hold down the DELETE key.

Power the computer back on while still holding down the DELETE key.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    IMO you should not use RAID on a home computer because management of devices is an ongoing commitment and replacement can be problematic (you gain a false sense of security). You are better off spending the money on a second internal hard disk for daily backup and an external disk for weekly backup / away from machine storage.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjames View Post

All of a sudden I can NOT enter the bios on booting by pressing DELETE.
    It boots into win 7 pro with no problem. I need to set up a raid 1 from the bios.

This has a dual bios, switch selectable, but I am concerned (afraid) to try it.

I suppose I could download another bios copy from Gigibyte, load it on a
    flash drive and use the Q-Flash to replace the present copy.
    Does the key combo to get to QFlash work?
    Does Ctr Alt Del work during post?
    If not and you are using an USB KB you may be having trouble with the BIOS recognizing the KB, try a different KB port, an USB 2 port may be a better choice than 3.0 port.

I would not be afraid to try switching to a different primary BIOS.

Having a backup is always a good idea, both for OS and BIOS before fooling around w/ stuff.

And you realize despite the term BIOS being almost universally used this MB will have UEFI firmware.

Lastly I would second Paul's advice on the RAID setup, recovery might be problematic.

PS
    If this board has a PS2 port a ps2 KB should get you into Bios where USB settings can be changed to allow the bios to see the usb KB.
    Last edited by wavy; 2015-06-20 at 11:03. Reason: PS
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    IMO you should not use RAID on a home computer because management of devices is an ongoing commitment and replacement can be problematic (you gain a false sense of security). You are better off spending the money on a second internal hard disk for daily backup and an external disk for weekly backup / away from machine storage.

cheers, Paul
    100% true if the OP is intending on using RAID1 as a backup device as that is not for which RAID1 is intended. It is meant to backup and restore the array. But the OP's system is a 2011-V3 setup which is designed for server duty (though often is bought for other purposes).

OP, if you want backup then set up backup...don't think RAID1 will do it for you because it won't. RAID1 isn't designed for that purpose.

However right now the OP has the problem of not being able to access their BIOS Menu and that is unacceptable. If the system BIOS is truly un-accessible then the MB should be RMA'ed under warranty. Gigabyte TS will walk you through any steps before RMAing AND that should reduce your fear as any bricking of the MB would be their problem.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-06-23 at 13:05.