Thanks

Removing old notifications from system tray.

Before I continue with this REMOVING OLD NOTIFICATIONS FROM SYSTEM TRAY I would like to run it by you people first. I have made a restore point (to be safe) and have got down to the TrayNotify file in the Registry . I have right clicked on it which gives me the choice to save it to the Documents Folder as a export registry file which I will name TrayNotify, see screen shot no 2. If I follow the instructions in screen shot no 1, I understand that when I get to the Task Manager step I will see explorer.exe up in the apps list under processes which I will then end the process of it.. Then I bring Run back up by clicking on file and enter explorer.exe into it to reload the explorer process. I just want to be sure about seeing explorer.exe in Task Manager as thats the only thing which is missing in my cold run of the process.regedit.png1regedit.pngAnd does reloading explorer.exe move TrayNotify file back to the registry and then we all live happily ever after with a tidy system tray.
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2015-06-20 at 07:42.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It appears you're following the instructions here: Remove Old Notification Icons In Windows 7. You can view explorer.exe in task manager at any time.

The .reg file doesn't get moved back to the registry; it's only a backup in case something didn't work as expected; in which case double-clicking it would restore original settings.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-06-20 at 10:05.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2015-06-20)

jwoods
    How-To Geek has virtualy the same steps (for Vista) and I have used them successfully on Win 7 systems...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2015-06-20)

Thanks

Was looking for explorer in wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    It appears you're following the instructions here: Remove Old Notification Icons In Windows 7. You can view explorer.exe in task manager at any time.

The .reg file doesn't get moved back to the registry; it's only a backup in case something didn't work as expected; in which case double-clicking it would restore original settings.
    I'm happy to go ahead with this now, I was looking for the explorer.exe under Processes in Task Manager so your answer "You can view explorer.exe in task manager at any time." was very helpful as it made me realize I was looking in the wrong place. Also I understand I should'nt need the restore point as the TrayNotify file will be backed up in the down load file. Thanks J.Woods also.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    How-To Geek has virtualy the same steps (for Vista) and I have used them successfully on Win 7 systems...

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/
    That's all done, I now have a clean systems area.