Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

svchost using CPU

Hi

There are times, too many now, where I can hear my CPU start to whir/rev up. Sometimes I get warnings from Norton 360(?) that a process is consuming "x% of at least 1 CPU". My computer is an HP Pavillion running dual T6600 CPUs at 2.20 GHz, 4GB of installed memory, and Win 7 with SP1.

When the activity seems to get really heavy, I either lose keystrokes (not at the moment) or typing slows. Loading of pages from the Internet slows, although that could be for many reasons but it does sometimes coincide with the extra activity. There are other symptoms also.

The warnings from Norton usually identify svchost as the problem. A little research indicates that svchost can be running for several reasons. I saw a KB on the Microsoft website about svchost but really wasn't sure what to do with the info.

Suggestions on troubleshooting/fixing this?

TIA

Fred

Thanks
    Right-click on the offending svchost in Taskman and select Go to Service(s), list the highlighted Services for us please.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Svchost is often busy for a while after installing Windows updates. Does the slow down happen regularly?

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's always a possibility of an impending disk issue, so as well as satrow's advice I'd make sure your backups are up-to-date.

jwoods
    Download and install the free program What's My Computer Doing?...

http://www.easy2sync.com/en/produkte...uter-doing.php

Click on the link at the top of the window to Also show system processes.

Minimize the window to the tray and then switch to it when you get the CPU run up.

You can also stop the display at any point by checking the Freeze box.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry I haven't gotten back to this for a while.

Here's what's happening right now.

- cpu is whirring
    - got warning from Norton about svchost using 99% of at least 1 cpu (see attached)
    - had trouble loading this page
    - checked task manager but do not see any svchost processes; did see ieexpore.exe with "CPU" values in 15-16 range; it's now down to 1-2 but cpu is still whirring
    - even if there was an svchost running, right clicking it and selecting Go To Service(s) only brings up the entire service list of services (or it appears to) that I'd see by clicking the Services tab in task manager. This is a list of about 120-130 services
    - Windows updates are not running now. Last update was about a week or more ago.
    - checked Performance in Task Manager. It was running way high on both cpu's when I first started this msg. After a long while, it dropped to almost 0. It very briefly (5 seconds?) started going higher but nowhere near as high as when I started this msg. Then dropped down to almost 0 again, where it's at now.

That's about it for now on the trouble shooting. I'd bet as soon as I click Submit on this that the cpu use will start go pick up again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Did you click the "Show processes from all users" button? You should now see the correct SVCHOST.
    When you select "go to services" the service that you want will be highlighted.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,

Of course, all is now "quiet on the cpu front."

However, I had not clicked the "Show processes..." button before. I did so now and there are 15 svchost processes running, none of which are using any cpu resource. I did right click an arbitrary svchost and saw the highlighted services. So at least I now know what to do.

Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try using Process Explorer if the system doesn't freeze when you get the Norton alert and you may be able to see what is using up the CPU and its source.

Click on Options and check the box for Verify Signature, hover over VirusTotal.com and check both of those boxes and here are a couple of tutorials for you to learn what the changing colours mean - plus a bit more.

http://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysi...s-pro/lesson2/

http://www.microsoft.com/security/si...aning_explorer

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I caught up to one of those svchost processes as the cpu started whirring up. I saw a spike in cpu usage for 1 svchost process in task manager and then it quieted down. Very brief spike - not like what I've had over the past few weeks. Norton did not complain.

But, when I saw which svchost process was consuming a lot of cpu, I was able to right-click that one and see the services associated with it. So the info is
    - svchost associated with user name=System
    - services: wudfsvc, WPDBusEnum, Wlansvc, UxSms, TrkWks, SysMain, PcaSvc, Netman, HomeGroupListener, hidserv, AudioEndpointBuilder

Not sure if this is the culprit since there was only a very brief spike, unlike the long, continued whirring and behavior I saw at this morning's post. But, of the 13 svchost processes running right now, the one mentioned above seems to be the only one consuming any cpu resource at all, even if not at a high rate. For example, task manager does show the cpu resource for this process oscillating between 00 and 01 (whatever the numbers mean). Of course, these numbers don't seem to be a problem but no other svchost process is using any cpu at all.

Haven't tried the Process Explorer idea yet.

Fred

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That's the correct way to use it, just have to wait for a spike.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A different possibility:

You have twice mentioned noise: " hear my CPU start to whir/rev up" and " the long, continued whirring".

That'll be your HDD, something which is usually not "noisy" although it can just be heard.

I am wondering if you are heading for HDD failure ? This would be consistent with the whirring noise and with some of your other symptoms, if your system is having to make multiple attempts to write to the disk.

Steps I would recommend are:

1. Take a full backup first
    2. Look in Event Viewer at the time of one of the "whirring" phases
    3. Download and run the disk manufacturer's diagnostics

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    That'll be your HDD, something which is usually not "noisy"
    Unless it's the CPU fan.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have an app that I downloaded some time ago Speedfan - version 4.44.

So I opened it to see what it was reading.

First it detected what it could measure: it reported that it "found ACPI temperature" and "found Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20 GHz".

Well, I can vouch for the 2nd item. Not sure what the first item is.

It then has an area where Speedfan is reporting the temps of 4 items in deg C: HD0 (my only hard disk), Temp1 (not sure what that corresponds to), Core 0, and Core 1.

In addition to the actual temp to the right of the above items, there's an icon to the left that seems to take on 1 of 3 values: a green check mark, a red arrow pointing upward, and a burning fire. Not sure how these symbols get selected. For example, Temp1 might read 48C with a green check but then change to 47C with a red up arrow and then 48C with a red up arrow.

After watching this a while, about the only constant is the HD0 - seems to be holding at a constant 42C with a green arrow. The other 3 items fluctuate in terms of temps and icons.

Temp1 just went to 50C and the burning icon (50C looks like the threshold for that icon). And it just went down to 48C.

And while all this is happening, nothing is whirring although there is a faint hum in the background (not from the Big Bang). CPU usage is being reported in the 5-8% range, which is consistent with the Task Manager's CPU Usage History (which I also was watching).

Fred

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    42C is a bit high for a hard disk, mine run around 30C tops, just above room temperature.
    40-50C is OK for a CPU not doing too much, 60C is tops working hard.

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast