3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows partition manager

I am using Win 7 Pro, SP1. I have an external (USB 3) 1TB drive which is partitioned into 2 equal logical drives, E: & F:. What I want to do is to make F: smaller so that I can increase the size of E:. I tried to do this with Easeus Partition Master 10.5. As a first step I was able to choose to reduce the size of F: by 100GB: and leave space for E: to be expanded. Next I selected to increase E: by the same amount, and started the two pending operations. An hour later it had reached 20% of "Moving data"; 2 hours later there was no change, so I cancelled. And I may say I was very surprised to find that both drives were still intact and accessible. (I have used this program successfully before, some time ago, but I've learned to distrust Easeus products after their disk imaging program failed to restore an image, twice!)

Next I tried Windows built-in Disk Management. There's a box showing the size before shrinking: there's a box for the size available to shrink: and another to enter the amount to shrink. But there is no indication as to whether the unallocated space will be between E: & F:, or at the far end of F:, and I don't want to find out the hard way.

Can anyone tell me? Or is there a better partitioning program?

David

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that link. I installed Minitools Partition Wizzard, looked good, tried it to do exactly the same resizing job. It got to 19% and froze. I ran Check Disk on both partitions, no faults found. So I tried defragging hoping that would make a difference. Both show showed 0% fragmentation so another hope bites the dust.

David
    Last edited by Rhinoceros; 2015-06-20 at 20:07.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    David,

Physical: 1Tb = 1000 GB
    Logical E: = 500 GB Free ??? GB
    Logical F: = 500 GB Free ??? GB

Do you have another external drive available? Or do you have 1Tb available on an internal drive?

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Okay, 1 TB drive. E: 500GB, full. F: 500GB, 240GB used, 260GB free.

So I was trying to reduce F: by 150GB, then increase E: by the same amount. Would it make a difference if I reduced F: by 260 then increased E: by 250?

I do have another 500GB drive, and have copied everything on F: to it so all that data is safe. I could delete everything on F then reduce it. Would that work?

David

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try running each operation (i.e., shrink and expand) separately.

Zig

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Partitions need to be contiguous so you need the space at the end of E to be able to expand it. This means moving all the data in F further along the disk, which is guaranteed to take a long time. I'd let it run overnight and see what happens.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. I did run the two operations separately, and the moving of F: didn't take more than a couple of hours to complete. What happened the first time when it stuck at 19% I don't know. However! (Hate that word, but it fits.) there was no sign of F: in Windows Explorer, nor Explorer2. I ran Minitool Partition Wizzard. The folders that were in F: drive were visible, but the partition had no drive letter assigned to it. So I assigned F, it is now shown as F:New Volume (NTFS), and all seemed to be well, except that it still doesn't appear in Windows Explorer.

I feel sure it's just a problem of a setting that needs to be tweaked. Any further suggestions?????

Thanks

David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wait, Wait, as they say on NPR. I just re-re-booted and the drive has reappeared as G: (there are a couple of SD cards attached this morning so I suppose G was the next letter available). I suppose I should remove the SD cards and re-reasign F as the drive letter or all my links to recently opened files will be screwed up. Still, it's nice to have the partition back.

Thanks for all the help guys,

David