New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Can't enter text into text box

Recently my WINXP computer stopped allowing me to enter text into a text box. This makes the computer pretty useless. I am sure that it is a registry issue. Does anyone have an idea as to how to fix this?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My question would be, can you click once in the text/dialog box then type? The click process is simply getting the 'focus' in the box so Windows knows you want to type there. Along with that, describe the places or programs where you can't type. The simplest test is to open Notepad [in Start, All Programs, Accessories] and try to type there. If successful try other programs where data has to be entered. HOWEVER, since you are able to post the question one can assume typing does work in Internet Explorer or other browser you may be using. Or are you posting using a different computer? I see nothing listed showing your System Specs.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvo View Post
    Recently my WINXP computer stopped allowing me to enter text into a text box. This makes the computer pretty useless. I am sure that it is a registry issue. Does anyone have an idea as to how to fix this?
    Not really enough information here.

Are you talking about a text box in a web browser? If so, which one?

A program on your system? Which program?

Any changes made to your system right before it started?

Are you getting any error messages?

Have you checked the Event Logs to see if there are any errors Windows may have logged when this happens?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem is occurring with Internet Explorer which I need because of ActiveX. For other than accessing a specific program, I use Chrome for general browsing. I am not aware of any changes to my system before the problem occurred. I also have not received any error messages.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If it's IE specific, you can try to reset your browser. Of course you will have to re-add any previous browser enhancements and also re-enter your passwords as needed.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...rer-8-settings

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvo View Post
    The problem is occurring with Internet Explorer which I need because of ActiveX. For other than accessing a specific program, I use Chrome for general browsing. I am not aware of any changes to my system before the problem occurred. I also have not received any error messages.
    Try disabling any Add-ons, one at a time, to see if it makes a difference.

In IE, select Tools > Manage Add-ons.

Highlight Toolbars and Extensions, and select All add-ons in the Show: drop down.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-21 at 16:39.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Silvo, have you lately installed Ashampoo's Snap 7 or 8 screen capture program?
    When I have that program running on my computer, I cannot type anything.
    I only run it when needed, and shut it down to type.
    I have contacted Ashampoo about this, but they cannot find what is going on.
    In the meantime, I also have Tecsmith's Snagit 12, I like both programs for different reasons.
    This is just a possible idea to think about, and probably has nothing to do with your problem.
    All the best, RGSmith
    Computer Specs:
    Windows 7 Pro 64 -Bit
    1000W Silent Fan Power Supply
    Asus Z87-Pro MotherB
    4th Gen. Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Chip
    Crucial 32GB DDR3 Memory
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video
    3 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 64MB HHD's
    Super Multi Blu-ray Burner
    24X DL 8.5GB DVD Burner

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot Enter Test Into Any Text Box

I have not added any software or hardware when the problem occurred. All of s sudden, I could not enter text into any text box. This includes such programs as Internet Explorer and Chrome. I also, for example, includes My Computer text boxes. This has to be a registry problem. Does anyone have an idea?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A couple of things I would try, one is to reboot and press F2 or Del or whatever to get into the BIOS, try changing the date [can back out without saving the change]. Another diagnostic provided in Windows is to boot into Safe Mode and see if the keyboard works in any dialog box or Notepad, does not load many drivers which may interfere. A third is to use Computer Management, Device Manager to uninstall the keyboard and reboot, should install it again. Finally, I use a LiveDVD version of Linux for checking the hardware when having such problems, doesn't even read the Windows Registry.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This may be the dumbest suggestion yet. Have you checked the actual keyboard? Is it plugged in? If it's PS/2 can you plug in a different keyboard to test with? If it's a USB keyboard have you tried plugging it into a different USB port? If it's a wireless keyboard have you checked the keyboard batteries? It's easy to forget because wireless keyboards run for a year or three before needing new batteries ....

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot Enter Text Into Any Text Box

It's a netbook with an integral keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    This may be the dumbest suggestion yet. Have you checked the actual keyboard? Is it plugged in? If it's PS/2 can you plug in a different keyboard to test with? If it's a USB keyboard have you tried plugging it into a different USB port? If it's a wireless keyboard have you checked the keyboard batteries? It's easy to forget because wireless keyboards run for a year or three before needing new batteries ....