5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dramatically speed up network access (browsing) and Windows Explorer access too (at least for me).

Can't find where I found this registry tweak but it really (around 3 times) speed things up. Not a coder so make recovery point and back up your registry before implementing this, but, if you are a home user, I think this one will give you a smile. Just save it as a .reg file (speedup.reg is what I call it).

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system]
    "SynchronousMachineGroupPolicy"=dword:00000000
    "SynchronousUserGroupPolicy"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoRecentDocsNetHood"=dword:00000001
    Last edited by lylejk; 2015-06-21 at 01:54.

jwoods
    The tweak is pretty useless...

From the Moderator on Microsoft Community...

Ronnie Vernon replied on

MVP Community Moderator MCC: Content Creator MCC: Content Curator Conversationalist

I saw this tweak to (allegedly) speed up booting speed of windows 7.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\policies\system]
    "SynchronousMachineGroupPolicy"=dword:00000000
    "SynchronousUserGroupPolicy"=dword:00000000

Is this good? Will it really boost up speed up process of windows 7?

Thank you.

Hi

This is one of those "smoke and mirrors" tweaks that seem to stay around forever.

It was originally implemented in Windows 2000.

It was used to speed up the application of a very large number of Group Policy objects that are applied to machines, by the domain administrator, on large corporate domain networks.

It never had any effect on home or home networked machines. This Group Policy object no longer exists in Windows 7.

Group Policy Registry Reference:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms815238.aspx

Bottom line is no one should use it.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-21 at 01:05.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Trust me jwoods; it speed my VM up at least 3 times as far as browsing websites is concerned. It also dramatically speed up my explorer access. If I notice the change then it is real. How it works is anyone's guess; may only work for virtualized systems like mine, but hey, it's what I'm typing this message in right now.

edit:

I should add that I'm using Iron Browser (a Chrome variant).

jwoods
    If you don't know how the registry entries work, you should not be advising people to tweak their registries.

It's smoke and mirrors, as the Microsoft post said.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I took your attitude on such things, I wouldn't have been in the computer repair business for over a decade now jwoods. I mean, do I really know why chkdsk works? Or how ipconfig /all actually gives me the data I want for network configuration? No; just know they work. Yes, I do tend to go where angels fear to tread, but with VMs, I can easily recover from my play if need be. As I stated in my original op, create a system recovery point before adding the entries.

jwoods
    I think I'll take the experience and advice from the Microsoft MVP and moderator on the Microsoft Community forums.

Because you had a improvement with an XP Virtual Machine doesn't mean it helps anyone else. If your thread title and post had said "for XP Virtual Machines", fine. But it didn't.

In fact, it won't help anyone who doesn't meet the specs in the MS post.

Saying that it will is irresponsible.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't say it would help all; it helped me and maybe it will help another person running XP too. Maybe it won't. I'm just sharing the info and my experience with it. Don't see what the fuss is to do so.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    I didn't say it would help all; it helped me and maybe it will help another person running XP too. Maybe it won't. I'm just sharing the info and my experience with it. Don't see what the fuss is to do so.
    That's not what your thread title and your opening post said...

You said, "if you are a home user, I think this one will give you a smile. Just save it as a .reg file".

The fuss is about wasting people's time using registry hacks that don't apply...that's what understanding what you're talking about will do for you.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK jwoods; I updated the title.

jwoods
    OK jwoods; I updated the title.
    Still misleading.

It still doesn't say (either in the thread title or opening post) that it's specific to your XP Virtual Machine...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How can I be sure that it won't help someone else jwoods? How can you absolutely know it won't help someone else? Neither of us can; title is correct as is. Leaving it as is.

jwoods
    How can I be sure that it won't help someone else jwoods? How can you absolutely know it won't help someone else? Neither of us can; title is correct as is. Leaving it as is.
    You have credible information from a valid source that says otherwise.

You have no credible information from a valid source to back up your "guess".

So that makes your title and post misleading, and incorrect.

I feel for your "repair business" customers.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No longer in the repair business since help desk paid more (was for 5 years working for a mom and pop shop; very happy customers and bump in to them from time to time). As for your spiel, you are entitled to your opinion based on what you read from other sources. I'm entitled to mine based on my own experience. To each his own.