New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Webpages don't load over wireless (but wired is fine)

I have Windows 7 Pro SP1 on a Dell Latitude, Intel managing wireless, connecting through a Comcast cable modem/router (Arris TG862G). Intermittently over the past month, but now almost constantly, I can't get web pages to load when on the home wireless. I can ping and tracert (though there are delays, and not all intermediates respond to ICMP), so it looks like the request is getting out but the response is not arriving. I get "The connection was reset", or the page silently dies, or for Google I will sometimes get "Secure Connection Failed; The connection to www.google.com was interrupted while the page was loading."

I'd like to blame Comcast but it might be a Windows issue. I haven't tried connecting on wireless at the office yet, so I cannot rule out the home router.
    Any suggestions?

Richard

Thanks
    Wikipedia: WiFi > Interference
    Interference

For more details on this topic, see Electromagnetic interference at 2.4 GHz.

Wi-Fi connections can be disrupted or the internet speed lowered by having other devices in the same area. Many 2.4 GHz 802.11b and 802.11g access-points default to the same channel on initial startup, contributing to congestion on certain channels. Wi-Fi pollution, or an excessive number of access points in the area, especially on the neighboring channel, can prevent access and interfere with other devices' use of other access points, caused by overlapping channels in the 802.11g/b spectrum, as well as with decreased signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) between access points. This can become a problem in high-density areas, such as large apartment complexes or office buildings with many Wi-Fi access points.

Additionally, other devices use the 2.4 GHz band: microwave ovens, ISM band devices, security cameras, ZigBee devices, Bluetooth devices, video senders, cordless phones, baby monitors, and (in some countries) Amateur radio all of which can cause significant additional interference. It is also an issue when municipalities or other large entities (such as universities) seek to provide large area coverage.
    Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Opening a command prompt and enter netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid will show you any local users, the channels they are broadcasting on and if their signal strengths are anywhere near yours.

Some routers channel setting is default Auto which can drop you onto a highly populated channel, so using the info that command gives can help you to decide which is the best channel for you.

If you want to post the output of that command, right click in the text area of the command window, click on Select all then press enter.

You can then right click in the reply box and select Paste - and let us know your SSID.

Power cycling the modem and router can help if things are getting snarled up.

You do this by switching off the modem (where separate), router and computer and disconnect all cables for a couple of minutes.

Reconnect the cables, switch just the modem on and when all lights are lit, do the same for the router and then switch the computer on.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-06-21 at 12:40.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rpolunsky View Post
    ....Intermittently over the past month, but now almost constantly, I can't get web pages to load when on the home wireless. ... I get "The connection was reset", or the page silently dies, or for Google I will sometimes get "Secure Connection Failed; The connection to www.google.com was interrupted while the page was loading."
    ... I haven't tried connecting on wireless at the office yet, so I cannot rule out the home router.
    Any suggestions?

Richard
    Rule out the router.

It could be interference from a device sharing the frequency, another wifi router/device or your wifi router is crapping out.

See if anyone is strongly in the area and locate their general direction. You can either switch to a quieter freq (channel 1, 6 or 11 in USA and 2.4GHz) or try to block them out (book shelf, fish tank, filing cabinet, antenna upgrade/orientation).

https://community.newegg.com/eggxper...9/t/99723.aspx

Another possibility I wanted to mention, presumably you are trying to connect via https: ? Hence the occasional message of secure link failure. If you do not have a matching support protocol for the web site's server it will come back with a secure link fail message. I have removed several encryption handshake routines from my browser support (all RC4 and DHE protocols) and nowadays if they do not support TLS protocol since browsers have abandoned SSL due to recent POODLE attacks. Some "secure" places I visit no longer work. You can try to visit on an unsecure http: connection to see if it now works.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-06-23 at 15:55.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    Rule out the router.

It could be interference from a device sharing the frequency, another wifi router/device or your wifi router is crapping out.

See if anyone is strongly in the area and locate their general direction. You can either switch to a quieter freq (channel 1, 6 or 11 in USA and 2.4GHz) or try to block them out (book shelf, fish tank, filing cabinet, antenna upgrade/orientation).

https://community.newegg.com/eggxper...9/t/99723.aspx

Another possibility I wanted to mention, presumably you are trying to connect via https: ? Hence the occasional message of secure link failure. If you do not have a matching support protocol for the web site's server it will come back with a secure link fail message. I have removed several encryption handshake routines from my browser support (all RC4 and DHE protocols) and nowadays if they do not support TLS protocol since browsers have abandoned SSL due to recent POODLE attacks. Some "secure" places I visit no longer work. You can try to visit on an unsecure http: connection to see if it now works.
    Channel 6 is the default for many routers.