5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Stealing secret crypto-keys from PCs using leaked radio emissions

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06...st_radioshack/

.... We demonstrate the extraction of secret decryption keys from laptop computers, by non-intrusively measuring electromagnetic emanations for a few seconds from a distance of 50 cm. [20"] The attack can be executed using cheap and readily-available equipment...is compact and can operate untethered; it can be easily concealed, e.g., inside pita bread. Common laptops, and popular implementations of RSA and ElGamal encryptions, are vulnerable .... running GnuPG (popular open source encryption software, implementing the OpenPGP standard), within a few seconds....

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The title of the thread had me worried, but as my laptops don't go anywhere then for me this is N/A.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    To thwart that you just need to fire off several decryption routines at once with only one being the actual decryption. The noise will effectively shield the real decryption.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Or you can just ensure that no one comes near you with a piece of bread.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-06-23),jimw917 (2015-06-25)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is an old hack revisited (as comments in the thread indicate) BUT what caught my eye was the ability to hide the hack in a purse or backpack [unfortunately the asswipe author decided to say pita pocket to be cute which did allow access-mdb to make the obvious joke and allows you the excuse to beat your waiter to death for bringing bread] that should allow someone in a Cafe, etc. close proximity without detection. Not sure it is yet a real worry but it worries me that a year from now someone can have it in a smartphone sized package.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-06-23 at 15:24.

Thanks
    When it gets down to falafael patty size I will still not worry. Just put some hot sauce on it
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the photo at the link, there appears to be a camera in the picture on a Manfrotto tripod identical to mine. A lot of cameras these days have WiFi (as well as a built-in mike) a couple of mine do.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2015-06-25 at 12:34.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Garlic bread will boost sensitivity of the device ......