Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Media Player plays some .wmp files but not others

Yep, my Windows Media Player 9 is willing to play some .wmp files but not others. I can't think of any reason why WMP would behave this way unless there is there more than one .wmp file spec out there.

Anybody with a similar experience? Any ideas? I can't tell you when this might have started, since I don't use it often.

I'm running WMP9 on XP Pro SP3 up-to-date...

Thanks!

Thanks
    You're probably missing a codec for one of those "others".
    Or you could have some corrupt wmp files.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-06-22 at 20:24.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've had some success with http://www.free-codecs.com/microsoft...t_download.htm when I had problems playing a CD, but K-Lite is highly recommended to cover the Codecs.

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might want to consider upgrading. WMP 9 is pretty old! There's a WMP 11 out (for a long time!) and it has a decent shot at resolving some of your issues.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/searc...layer&form=DLC

There are several other players out there as well of course.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BHarder For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-06-25)

Thanks
    I'm not keen on one-stop fix all codec packs.

I'd rather use a utility such as gspot to identify the required codec(s) and only install the necessary ones.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd suggest trying an open source or other third-party alternative: VLC and MediaMonkey are both excellent (and free).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

UPDATE: Windows Media Player plays some .wmp files but not others

I'm aware, BHarder, that WMP9 is a little behind the times, but I generally don't do "upgrades' unless there is a doggoned good reason to do so. In this case, there isn't.

Like Browni, "I'm not keen on one-stop fix-all codec packs", particularly since it's not all .wma files that won't run, it's only some.

I could go to a different player, as dogberry suggests, but my primary task here is to find why WMP9 won't play certain .wma files. Note that I am de facto support for XP machines being used by relatives...

This all started when I had a .avi video that was too big to be an email attachment. I used several converter programs to change it to a .wma, but WMP9 always choked, saying I needed a codec that I didn't have (thanks, CLiNT). Finally, I found a reference that said some converters produce what are really .asf files masquerading as .wma files.

It turns out that .asf is rather like a predecessor to .wma, and, apparently, if a file looks internally more like a .asf than a .wma, even though the extension is .wma, WMP9 won't play it.

The app that finally did the .avi conversion to a .wma that WMP9 was happy with is good ol' Format Factory. The bonus is that the file is under 4MB (where the original was nearly 25MB), but still plays smoothly.

And it's small enough to become an email attachment!!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Last edited by lanshark; 2015-07-03 at 12:47.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Solving problems and finding explanations is a laudable practice that is to be encouraged, but leaving it at that may leave you missing things you would welcome if you explored a little further.

Many moons ago, Woody sang the praises of MediaMonkey online, and I have been using it ever since. I set out to look up the original article, but discovered that he lays it out in a refined way in Windows 8.1 All-in-One For Dummies, which you can view online (at Amazon, in preview form) and see for yourself (if you don’t already have the book). WMP is thoroughly covered, but if you can't find it there, you may still find the original article.

Windows Media Player will not let you rip your own video DVDs, where MediaMonkey will. If you want to catalog your saved music, MediaMonkey does a fine job of maintaining the catalog. You should read the reasons Woody gives for the Microsoft limitation before deciding, but there is no conflict in having both programs available to operate on the same collection.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2015-07-06 at 06:10.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well then I think we disagree. To me having media files not playing when they ought to is a doggoned good reason to upgrade, especially when there are no other signs of trouble.

It's upgrading with the hope of resolving an issue and not directly addressing the issue itself to be sure. However you get better support and more modern software in the process and that is usually a worthwhile endeavour.

I agree with Browni on being careful about codec packs. Those have been a popular way of distributing malware. IIRC, several "codec packs" contained no codecs at all but lots of malware and were introduced by way of faked error messages.

Getting this software directly from Microsoft is one way of combatting the bad people and bad software out there.

Not that I'm blind to the flaws of MediaPlayer. It's just that I've had issues with nearly every version of MediaPlayer. Much like Windows itself MediaPlayer is a product of human beings. You can either live with it's flaws or you move on. As I said there are numerous alternatives and numerous fans of those alternatives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    There's a WMP 11 out (for a long time!) and it has a decent shot at resolving some of your issues.
    Not for XP , 10 is as high as you get!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Not for XP , 10 is as high as you get!
    WMP 11 is available for XP too:

Windows Media Player Release History

Download Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP

Thanks
    I see it is MY BAD. I remember now I always had a problem with the install.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.