Thanks

Administrator limitations

I am running Build 10130, and, when logged in as the Administrator, I cannot get to Personalize or Display Settings in the right-click menu.

Is this "known" or is it just me?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    If you mean right clicking on a blank area of the desktop, it works for me. Typing display in the start menu search box also brings up a link to display settings.

jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    If you mean right clicking on a blank area of the desktop, it works for me. Typing display in the start menu search box also brings up a link to display settings.

jerry
    Ditto. Same here

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43852

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Do you have any third party start menu programs installed? Do you have any third party programs like Stardock installed?

Have you checked the Windows 10 TechNet Forums?

Joe

Thanks
    Joe/Jerry, I'll check out that link. I just went back and tried again...same result, and that's after being sure any add-ins or extras weren't loaded. I snapped the error. I've been getting this for some time. Very strange. It is when I right-click the desktop...both Display Settings and Personalize.

And both work fine logged in as "me" -- and that's with any add-ons or extensions weren't loaded. It's the Admin account that has the issue.

Chuck

Error.png
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2015-06-25 at 16:27.
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What sort of optimization or system cleaning programs have you run?

You might want to consider a Reset or just wait. A new build should be out soon according to Microsoft.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe, I had this problem before I ran any programs...AND...after I ran them / it, both choices still work for me, but not the Admin. This along with the Guest issues have yet to be resolved.

When a new build is installed, it doesn't reset anything, does it? But maybe it's a glitch that will get cured...

Chuck

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Chuck,

Having seen the message you are receiving and the scenario you describe, I agree w/ Joe... either reset the thing or wait for the next Build we have. I'm pretty sure you are on Fast Track so shouldn't be very long. We are going to see, @ least, 1 more Build before GA.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43859

Thanks
    Drew, that is what I am going to do. I just spent the better part of two days "starting over" with a 10130 build, and it came back. My bad that I didn't check it after every addition or change to try to trace which one causes the glitch. But at this point, since most all of what I have on my machine is important, I will just let the solution "come to me" before I start all over again/.

Drew there are so many things that I have come up "against" in this beta that I don't understand (lack of experience for some, no doubt) that I can't track them all. One I DID want to do was get the Build to work from a bootable USB, but I ran into issues with other external peripherals "stealing the boot process", so that then the files couldn't be found. THAT one I'd like to solve. But I decided I'd wait for the release product and deal from there.

This one is sort of like that. I can work around the Admin issues for now, and find a solution when the product is finalized.

Chuck

Thanks
    @Jerry

I hate to sound too dumb, but, oh well...

I don't have a "box" in my 10 Start Menu, and if I use Win-R (run) Display gives me an error.

Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2015-06-26 at 03:36.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    @Jerry

I hate to sound too dumb, but, oh well...

I don't have a "box" in my 10 Start Menu, and if I use Win-R (run) Display gives me an error.

Chuck
    Geeez, Chuck, why? Why does one just work & you have all these glitches. Ok, how about this... Search box is not on the Start menu. But it IS on the Taskbar, either as an icon or as a Box. If it isn't, here is how to have it (show). Rt Clk on Taskbar, gives a menu on which you will see Search. Its arrow will give Enable/Disable, Icon or Box.

Now, type Display in Search.

Attachment 43872

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43873

Thanks
    Drew, as usual, my bad. I had inadvertently turned off the search box. Overly-zealous cleaning I suppose. I DID get to the Display, and I WAS able to turn on/off desktop icons in Admin. That of course doesn't solve the right-click question, but a workaround is just fine.

Inch by inch...

Thanks,
    Chuck

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Drew, as usual, my bad. I had inadvertently turned off the search box. Overly-zealous cleaning I suppose. I DID get to the Display, and I WAS able to turn on/off desktop icons in Admin. That of course doesn't solve the right-click question, but a workaround is just fine.

Inch by inch...

Thanks,
    Chuck
    You're welcome, Chuck. Sure odd about Rt Clk.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43894