New Lounger
    Thanks

Connected to Router, but not to Internet (even though it is)

After rebooting my laptop today it shows it is connected to the router but that the router is not connected to the internet (even though it is), so there is no internet connection. It worked fine up to now.

I am using a wired connection and this works fine with another computer.

I have run system restore and tried turning the computer and router on and off. I ran Windows Diagnostics and it just says: can't communicate with primary DNS server.

What else can I try please?

Computer: Dell XPS L701X
    System: Windows 7 Home Premium
    Router: Orange LiveBox

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try booting up into Safe Mode with Networking to see if you can connect and determine if it is your AV program which can be a likely cause of blocking.

If you can connect in Safe Mode with Networking then do a manual check for updates on your AV program.

You can also open a command prompt as an admin by going Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC then enter

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

exit

Now reboot.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Before doing that, I have some more information since my original posting.....

I took the laptop closer to the router so I could use wifi and found that everything worked fine on wifi. But when I turned the router wifi off and plugged the ether net cable in again, the lack of connectivity returned. Does that help narrow down the problem?

Do I need to tell the computer in some way to switch from wifi to cable? Also, when both are available, which one does it choose?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Depending upon the OS, Ethernet will disable WiFi but in other cases the router will be acknowledging both MAC addresses when WiFi is also enabled.

You shouldn't have to go that close to a router to use WiFi.

How far away from the router are you normally when using your laptop ?

Go into Device Manager - click on View/Show hidden devices - expand Network adapters and look for any yellow alerts.

Let us know if you find any, including any against Non-Plug and Play Drivers.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-06-24 at 12:58.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If the cable doesn't work you may not have the network adapter set to use DHCP.
    You can check by running this in a Command Prompt and looking for the "DHCP Server" line: ipconfig /all

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    But when I turned the router wifi off and plugged the ether net cable in again, the lack of connectivity returned.
    1. You shouldn't have to "turn the router wifi off" in order to use the Ethernet connection. Just turning off the wifi on your PC will suffice.

2. Among the possibilities are a faulty Ethernet cable or a faulty Ethernet port on the PC. You could try another cable ?

Thanks
    Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser address line to see if your truly do have an Ethernet connection to your router as you stated in first post. Assuming that address is the Default Gateway found in the from the ipconfig /all command.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Depending upon the OS, Ethernet will disable WiFi but in other cases the router will be acknowledging both MAC addresses when WiFi is also enabled.

You shouldn't have to go that close to a router to use WiFi.

How far away from the router are you normally when using your laptop ?

Go into Device Manager - click on View/Show hidden devices - expand Network adapters and look for any yellow alerts.

Let us know if you find any, including any against Non-Plug and Play Drivers.
    The router is upstairs in the office, the laptop is used for streaming TV downstairs and along a corridor. The wifi signal drops off, which is why I put the cable in.

I looked in Device Manager as you suggested. There are no yellow alerts - all the non plug and play drivers have a yellow cog wheel or sun, which I assume is just a regular icon.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    If the cable doesn't work you may not have the network adapter set to use DHCP.
    You can check by running this in a Command Prompt and looking for the "DHCP Server" line: ipconfig /all

cheers, Paul
    As you may tell, I am a novice regarding computing. I have heard of command prompts, but have never used them. If this is an important thing to do, could you please tell me the steps I need to follow?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser address line to see if your truly do have an Ethernet connection to your router as you stated in first post. Assuming that address is the Default Gateway found in the from the ipconfig /all command.
    I did as you suggested, first with the cable unplugged (when there was no connection) and then again with cable plugged in (which then brought up some fact pages about the router).

I suppose this proves that the laptop is linked to the router by the cable. I know the router is putting the internet signals down the cable, because I can use it on other machines. I just can't see why the laptop won't accept these signals, even though it accepts the router's fact pages. I wonder how it knows the difference.....

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Click Start > Run then type this - you can copy and paste it into the Run box:
    cmd /c "ipconfig /all > %tmp%\IP.txt & notepad %tmp%\IP.txt"

You will now have a Notepad window with your data to cut and paste here.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unplug the wifi router and the DSL/Cable Modem box from the AC power and the Internet connection coming into the home for at least 20 seconds. Reconnect them (called a power cycle). See if the DNS is restored.

Sometimes things get confused. BUT if you made no changes I would be concerned if this fixes things and then in a few days this reoccurs without making any changes. I would suspect either the router or DSL/CM box is failing at that point.

jwoods
    Try using another set of DNS servers such as these provided by Google for public use...

8.8.4.4 google-public-dns-b.google.com
    8.8.8.8 google-public-dns-a.google.com

A partial list of other public DNS servers you can use...

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstr...ns-servers.htm
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-06-25 at 18:35.