Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

An unexpected update for Adobe Flash Player

PATCH WATCH

An unexpected update for Adobe Flash Player

By Susan Bradley

Perhaps it's the calm before the Windows 10 storm, but June proved to be a relatively quiet patching month. This month's leftover updating issues include an important out-of-band Adobe Flash fix and a lingering kernel patch.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/an-unexpected-update-for-adobe-flash-player/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.[/td] [/tr][/tbl]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2015-06-24 at 18:00.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Seems you need to close Firefox to install 18.0.0.194. I didn't on one of mine and had to close FF, un-install Flash and re-install before FF reported the correct version.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the further advice, Susan.

Does anyone have any explanation for the optional update KB3064209 which is stated to be for Intel processors being offered to me on both my computers including the one with an AMD processor? There have been problems reported on this update so I'm leaving well alone at the moment on both machines. The problems are mentioned here:-

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-u...-not-boot.html

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandor View Post
    Does anyone have any explanation for the optional update KB3064209 which is stated to be for Intel processors being offered to me on both my computers including the one with an AMD processor?
    This update improves the reliability of systems that use certain Intel processors. This update also fixes some issues that could cause the operating system to function incorrectly.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    This update improves the reliability of systems that use certain Intel processors. This update also fixes some issues that could cause the operating system to function incorrectly.
    Indeed, but I'd like to know what those issues are (given that my operating system works just fine) before installing an update that is primarily aimed at a processor I don't have. As always with MS, there's inadequate information on which to base a decision about installing the update. Good luck to Windows 10 users when they no longer get to make the decision and have all updates installed regardless!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tandor For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-06-25)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation WindowsUpdate 800F0244 OR WindowsUpdate dt000

Hi Folks,

Some of us are getting the following offered in MS WU:

Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

Download size: 61.7 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

This driver was provided by Intel Corporation for support of Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

More information:
    http://sysdev.microsoft.com/support/default.aspx

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

And getting the following error:

WindowsUpdate 800F0244 OR WindowsUpdate dt000

From MS Communty:

SPAPI_E_SIGNATURE_OSATTRIBUTE_MISMATCH
    0x800F0244
    The software was tested for compliance with Windows Logo requirements on a different version of Windows, and may not be compatible with this version.

I have:

Intel DH67BL
    Intel H67 (Cougar Point) [B3]
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Sandy Bridge GT2+
    Intel Sandy Bridge-DT GT2+ - Integrated Graphics Controller [D2/J1/Q0] [Intel]

From History, I get:

Intel Corporation driver update for Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

Installation date: ?2015-?06-?25 14:19

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 800F0244

Update type: Important

This driver was provided by Intel Corporation for support of Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000

More information:
    http://sysdev.microsoft.com/support/default.aspx

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

At this point I am simply HIDING the update as it appears to be inappropriate for me on W 8.1 at least.
    MAYBE it is for W 10 which I am Previewing on a different partition.

Best Regards,

Crysta

jwoods
    WU is offering you a driver for your display adapter that can only be updated through your computer's manufacturer (OEM).

Had that happen recently with a Toshiba laptop.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandor View Post
    Indeed, but I'd like to know what those issues are (given that my operating system works just fine)
    Yeah. I have all Intel processors but I still wanted to know which ones the issues are with. Couldn't find anything in the more info link. Just more cubicle-rat-speak if you ask me. Whoever wrote it was probably clueless so s/he just made it vague and hoped nobody would notice.

Thanks
    Crysta, hide it

You can safely update the graphics driver directly from Intel should you find the need to.

The only OEM driver issues come with notebook/mobile type computers with dual graphics - they should only be updated with the driver versions from the OEM concerned.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

PhotM (2015-06-28)

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspacer View Post
    Yeah. I have all Intel processors but I still wanted to know which ones the issues are with. Couldn't find anything in the more info link. Just more cubicle-rat-speak if you ask me. Whoever wrote it was probably clueless so s/he just made it vague and hoped nobody would notice.
    Actually, there is a KB article that describes what 3064209 is for...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3064209

There are prerequisites for this update.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Actually, there is a KB article that describes the issues corrected by 3064209...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3064209
    Please enlighten us as to how that blurb in any way "describes the issues corrected".

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have AMD on both my Tosh laptops but because you can also get them with Intel processors, the OEM install also provisions for Intel and there is an Intel folder in my registry.

I accepted that Intel update fully expecting to get the message that it wasn't needed, but it installed without any problems - so I guess it's like all of the other problematic WUs where they can affect some machines but not others.

If it's install does cause booting problems and while I know this works in Win 7, after switching on pressing the Shift key five times will give you access to the Action Centre where you can type Restore in the top right search box and that will give you a number of restore options.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-06-25 at 19:12.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Please enlighten us as to how that blurb in any way "describes the issues corrected".
    Look again...

I modified the original to say "Actually, there is a KB article that describes what 3064209 is for..."

Nice try, though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Look again...

I modified the original to say "Actually, there is a KB article that describes what 3064209 is for..."

Nice try, though.
    Same link, same blurb, please explain your conclusions that there is some description here that is of any use in explaining what it is for.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    If it's install does cause booting problems and while I know this works in Win 7, after switching on pressing the Shift key five times will give you access to the Action Centre where you can type Restore in the top right search box and that will give you a number of restore options.
    That can only be because you've copied wscui.cpl to sethc.exe for a non-standard function. Shift key five times normally turns on Sticky Keys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast