Lounger
    Thanks

MS Security Essentials bye bye for WinXP

The Microsoft website says "updates to Microsoft Security Essentials will continue to be provided for Windows XP through July 14, 2015."

I am running MSE together with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium on 32-bit WinXP. In two weeks I will need to switch to another AV program.

So, a few questions:

1) When troubleshooting a computer, the first thing I do is to disconnect the internet. Then I run a scan from the AV program installed on the local hard drive of the computer. Do the new cloud-based AV programs require a live internet connection in order to run a scan? Or do they install on the hard drive?

2) Which Free AV programs do you use and recommend for 32-bit WinXP?

3) Do they require a live internet connection to scan?

4) Can you schedule when and how often the AV program updates the virus list?

Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1. I think some do, some don't.
    2. That's easy. I've used Avast! for years on two XP machines and never picked up any ticks. Mind you, I do practise safe hex.
    3. No.
    4. Yes.

I've no experience of any other AV - it was the first one I tried and it just.....worked. I do use MBAM and Spywareblaster though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

LarryNY (2015-07-13)

jwoods
    Take a look at the reviews on these sites...

AV-TEST

http://www.av-test.org/en/compare-ma...esults/?avtest[type]=3

AV-Comparatives

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

VB100

https://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/index

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-06-25),LarryNY (2015-07-13)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When you select a possible AV look at their stated commitment for support XP for the foreseeable future. Others may dump XP on the same date as MS.

Also note Server 2003 supports ends July 14 as well. Interesting times.

Antivirus app testing labs:
    https://www.icsalabs.com/
    http://www.virusbtn.com/index
    http://www.westcoastlabs.com/checkma...techGroupID=27
    http://www.av-test.org/
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-06-25 at 18:56.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

LarryNY (2015-07-13)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The better solution would be to hose all anti-virus programs all together and get a program like Deep Freeze from Faronics so every time you reboot, you will return to a golden standard. The OS won't ever be updated again. You can always set a special directory to store files that need to be changeable (or files added too). If you have to make changes to the system itself, there's provisions within Deep Freeze to do just that as well. There may even be free programs like Deep Freeze but I'm am not familiar with them. You can run in a virtual OS environment like I do (sandbox). Still, if your main OS is XP, I would go for a program like Deep Freeze. Many schools and libraries use this program.

jwoods
    Deep Freeze won't save you from man-in-the middle attacks that sniff your network connection and grab your information.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    True; there is no 100% for sure way to no get your PII taken from you short of not going on line or being on a network. The next best thing is to use a little sense when browsing. What Deep Freeze will do is insure you won't get a permanently damaging virus since once you reboot, it will be gone.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    get any antivirus/antimalware product for XP except for McAfee.
    The current versions of McAfee antivirus & internet security products have already removed Windows XP support (a few months before the 7/14/2015 cutoff date) and require minimum of Vista SP1 to install and run as I checked the mcafee web site myself.

Avira, AVG and Avast are good free antivirus software replacements for MSE (and all 3 of these still support XP).
    Last edited by np-7930; 2015-07-13 at 16:11.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, tonyl, for your info. I had hoped to do the research online over the 4th of July holiday weekend but I was distracted again with another Netflix purge of movies. First, the week before, Netflix purged over 300 movies in the US on July 1. Then, suddenly, with only two days notice on Friday July 3rd, Netflix announced the purge of another 200 movies by Monday July 6. I had to choose the 3 or 4 movies I would watch from the dozen movies on My List that were expiring in two days. The constant lack of prior notice of expiring films is a real nuisance on Netflix. The folks at Netflix are as incompetent as the managers at Microsoft. They really don't know what they are doing. The new Netflix redesigned layout is a total mess. It's their unwanted Windows 8 disaster. But I digress...

So, after reviewing the three AV test org websites and visiting the home pages of five AV software companies, I've decided to give Avast Free Antivirus 2015 a try.

I downloaded their User Guide and I like the features and options. Avast was rated moderately well on the test websites, which is enough for me (way better than MSE) since I rely chiefly on Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium to protect me from malware. And I too practice safe hex.
    Last edited by LarryNY; 2015-07-13 at 18:17.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    When you select a possible AV look at their stated commitment for XP support for the foreseeable future. Others may dump XP on the same date as MS.
    The five Free anti-virus programs I researched are:

BitDefender Antivirus Free Edition (2015)
    Panda Free Antivirus 2015
    AVG Antivirus Free 2015
    Avast Free Antivirus 2015
    Avira Free Antivirus 2015

They all provide Real-Time Protection and currently support Windows XP.

The AV-Test.org website reports that Panda and AVG will continue WinXP updates support at least until April 2016.
    See the article at: http://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-...tect-xp-after/

I confirmed myself at their websites the following dates:
    BitDefender until January 2016
    Avira until April 8, 2016
    Avast until April 2017
    Of course, this information is always subject to change when the time approaches.

I found BitDefender Antivirus Free Edition (2015) to be too simple a program for my needs. It's just a simple, one setting program with no control - no manual vdf update, cloud based, difficulty restoring Quarantined files, no tech support. WinXP support ends January 2016.

Panda Free Antivirus 2015 had an update disaster on March 11, 2015, which downloaded a flawed signature file that subsequently quarantined Windows System files according to the news stories and reddit transcripts! Literally thousands of computers were turned into dead bricks when rebooted. It was a real sysadmin nightmare. I'll pass. WinXP support ends April 2016?

AVG Antivirus Free 2015 has been having automatic vdf update problems for two weeks now. The only solution offered so far by other Community members is to manually download the vdf file and then run the update from one's local hard drive. India tech support has offered no solutions to date. See the other Windows Secrets post for more info. WinXP support ends April 2016?

Avast Free Antivirus 2015 is everything I was looking for. I downloaded their User Guide pdf and found a full-featured antivirus program with user-adjustable settings. Their streaming cloud updates can be enabled/disabled. They have regular vdf updates, too. The AV test orgs rated Avast moderately well, which is very good for me. They have free 24/7 phone support, web tech support and a community blog forum. Win XP updates support ends April 2017, the longest so far announced. This will be my AV choice.

Avira Free Antivirus 2015 is a cloud-based full-featured antivirus program. The AV test orgs rated Avira as Excellent on the whole. They have community web tech support and a paid tech support option. Win XP support ends April 8, 2016. I may setup Avira on my test Win XP desktop since it will end support in nine months.
    Last edited by LarryNY; 2015-07-14 at 18:28.