Star Lounger
    Thanks

Group Policy Preferences

I have used this very little. I created a GPO with a preference to add a shortcut. I used the item level targetting for one person to test and it didn't work. Then I linked it to the top level and it was applied to ALL logons, not just the one that I targeted. I really thought that the item targeting would be done rather than all users.

Since everyone that was logged in got the shortcut, I changed the GPO to delete the shortcut and that seems to be working.

Soon I just want it to be applied to a group of about 30 users. Then this weekend it should be applied to all staff.

How should I set this up?

Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I'm not sure this is the place for a group policy tutorial, but we'll give it a go.

Questions
    1. Does the shortcut need to turn up per user or per machine?
    2. Is it dependent on other software being installed?
    3. Is it required on servers / terminal servers?

Technique
    1. When testing GPOs you should only use one or two test machines / temporary users. You don't want to affect real users until you have tested.
    2. Make a deployment plan showing what you will do if the GPO fails / causes problems and what you will do if it works as expected. Make sure your boss is happy with the deployment plan - then when it goes pear shaped you are not the only one responsible.

Steps
    1. Create an AD group containing the users / machines in your initial deployment list.
    2. Link the GPO to that AD group.
    3. Test and test again.
    4. Link the GPO to all users / machines, being careful to link it at the lowest level that affects the target audience, never at the top of the AD tree.
    5. Test and test again.
    6. Remove the link from your group in step 1. Optionally delete the group.
    7. Test the deployment group again.

Group Policy Structure: http://blogs.technet.com/b/musings_o...cy-object.aspx

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-06-25)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand what you are saying, Paul. My question is about Group Policy preferences where I have used Item Lever Targeting. I assume that only those targeted would get the policy, but it turns out everyone did.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That is because item level targeting is checked per user / machine after the policy is available. You made the policy available to all users and the targeting didn't work so everyone got the shortcut. You must restrict your testing to one or two objects.
    What item did you target?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It was a shortcut user preference. It was appearing on all desktops before they even logged on after that.

Now it is a moot point because I was given the go ahead for all users to have it anyway.

Thanks for taking the time for such detailed posts. I appreciate it.

Jane

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If the shortcut appeared before logon it may be because you set it in a machine GPO, or GPO processing is quick and you didn't see it arrive.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is a user policy. I did use item level targeting for one user to test. It didn't work or my test person gave me wrong information. Then I saw our mapping GPO that has user preferences and it was at the top level so I thought I needed to put this one there also. Apparently not. Guess the domain users trumped the item level targeting.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Item level targeting did not work for your test user so it was hardly likely to work for all users.
    To target individual users add them to a test group and make that the target.

cheers, Paul