Thanks

Reinstalling email: Almost shocked myself past recovery

I just reinstalled Office 2010, and, when I went to set up my e-mail, there were no Contacts! Thankfully, When I set up my Exchange account, the contacts downloaded with the mail.

I knew the rules went with the mail, but I didn't know the contacts. Thank goodness.

Is there anything that does NOT travel with an Exchange account? I remember having to designate a data file for the calendar and, I thought, the contacts. Do I not have to worry about either, as they both follow the mail account?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    What you NEED to worry and concern yourself with is MANUALLY backing up your own
    email and contacts and NOT relying on anything/anyone else doing it for you.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

jwoods
    +1

Thanks
    Clint, I back up my system weekly, and usually I export my contacts...yeah, I know...but this time I didn't. BUT, aside from that, do the contacts "follow" the Exchange file, so that there is no true offline data file?

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See if Introduction to Outlook data files helps. Note: Since Office 2010 your autocomplete list is stored in your Outlook data file instead of the .nk2 file as in older versions. Also see What to backup in Outlook 2013 from Slipstick Systems. Slipstick is an excellent source of information about Outlook & Exchange. It is run by an Diane Poremsky an Outlook MVP since 1999.

Joe

Thanks
    Yea Joe, Diane is a good source. Thanks.

Chuck

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    +1 again. I backup my Outlook 2013 PST and Contacts both. Yes, I know that Contacts are in the .PST file but I still keep a separate copy. I keep grandfather/father/son backups of these (and other programs settings etc). I keep onsite and offsite backups om my server. The server keeps backups of the PCs themselves.

As mentioned, don't trust others to do this for you.

K

Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    What you NEED to worry and concern yourself with is MANUALLY backing up your own
    email and contacts and NOT relying on anything/anyone else doing it for you.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    ... do the contacts "follow" the Exchange file, so that there is no true offline data file?
    Mail, Calendar and Contacts are all stored in Exchange. I assume that Tasks are as well, though I don't personally use Tasks.

Your question is, perhaps, headed in the wrong direction? The local Outlook data file is certainly an offline data file, but it's a fancy system with 2-way replication. Therefore when you have a connection with Exchange, you can kinda/sorta ignore the local data file. Outlook doesn't ignore that file you understand, but you can because all the activity relating to the local data store happens behind the scenes. Where it really comes into play is when you cannot contact Exchange. Suddenly the local data file becomes really important and you actually cannot use Outlook without it.

Thanks
    I think I have a couple threads going on this issue. From here on I'm going to use just "Turn off Address book syncing?" to see if I can keep posts straight...

Chuck