New Lounger
    Thanks

(Write] Access is denied: to new Win8.1 notebook by Win7 Homegroup desktop PC

I finally got my first Win8 machine, an Asus Zenbook with Win8.1. I have not done much home networking in recent years although home networking in old days seemed to work fine... both read and write. But now I'm trying to figure out Windows own "Homegroup" setup and why it does not allow the Win8.1 Zenbook to have write access to the Win7 PC HD. The Homegroup was setup on the Win7 PC, a password was obtained, then I entered this password on the Win8.1 machine and it successfully joined the Homegroup. All seemed well -- both machines could read each other's files and the Win7 PC can write to the Zenbook drive. But when I try to edit and save a file stored on the Win7 PC using the Zenbook, the system comes back with "Access is denied".

I have tried to make sure that both machines are sharing read & write privileges to the Homegroup.

Should I dump the Homegroup and try to figure out another networking arrangement or is there a way to get "under the hood" of this setup to force it to work? (I seem to recall Fred Langa discussng this years ago...)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    rlah,

If you want dump HomeGroups ( I don't use them ) see post #6 Here:

BTW: Once you do the above you can Disable the 2 HomeGroup Services:
    HomeGroup Listener
    HomeGroup Provider

HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2015-06-25 at 10:22.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

rlah (2015-06-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow! Works like a, uh, charm ! I'll bookmark that one. I did not even have to disable the "Homegroup" stuff to get this to work. Neither did I have to setup "IDENTICAL accounts {User Name and Password} on every machine". Why did you mention this "identical accounts" aspect even though it was not necessary? (My Zenbook only has a "Microsoft account" login so far (I think)).

You spoke about disabling the Homegroup stuff... will it hurt if I leave it as-is? What are the benefits of disabling?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    And a followup question... any idea if Win10 networking will work with this type of "Authenticated User" sharing instead of "Homegroup"? (I don't recall the revered editors of the newsletter writing about this yet...)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    rlah,

Gald it worked for you. I use the Identical Accounts because it just makes things easier as you'll never be prompted for credentials when you try to access one of the networked drives. Of course, you can check the remember box the first time it asks but if a Password is changed it will prompt you again. As to Win 10, Yes this does work as I'm currently running Win 10TP 10130 on one of my Laptops with the services disabled and I can link to the other 3 computers in the house (two using Identical ID with the Laptop, one W-7HP and the other W-8.1 Pro, and one With a different ID (my wife's) where I've checked the remember credentials box) and it works perfectly.

If you are using a MS account (the same on all machines) this will also solve the problem I would guess as I only use Local Logins as MS IDs don't currently work with my WD NAS drive software.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RetiredGeek:
    Your solution has got me trying to figure out other long-overdue home networking problems (since XP's demise)... I'm starting a new thread for this "Windows cannot access \\(wife's Win7HP PC)" problem.