Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 Pro on a new drive?

I need help on a Windows 10 licensing/install issue. I have Windows Pro 8.1 running on a 180GB SSD, and I'm running out of elbow room. Before I upgrade/update to Windows 10, I'd like to get a bigger SSD. What is the path of least resistance where Windows licensing is concerned? Must I install 8.1 Pro on the new SSD first to qualify for Windows 10 Pro? Or can I start fresh on the new SSD with Windows 10 (and still get the free upgrade)?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As I understand the process for the free upgrade to Win10 one does have to have a working Win7 or Win8.1 installed and fully up to date. After the upgrade has been accomplished it appears one can do subsequent clean reinstalls.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Frodough (2015-06-25)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As you have a working copy of Windows, now is the time to test cloning.
    Install the new disk alongside the existing and use one of the many free backup / image / clone programs to clone it, then disconnect the old drive, connect the new drive to the old drive SATA cable and boot. You can always go back to the old drive if required.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Frodough (2015-06-25)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    +1 for Paul's remark. Don't do multiple big changes at once. Take care of the hardware now so you know you've got a good running system before upgrading the OS.

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Frodough (2015-06-25)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the cloning advice. I would not have thought of that. Now to select and order the SSD.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Saw a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO on sale at Newegg for $110 USD. NOTE: Newegg prices change fairly quickly.

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    One does have to have an eligible OS on the drive where Windows 10 is going to be installed IF the (free) Upgrade path is the plan. Just cannot upgrade if there is nothing there to upgrade. Ergo, a new SSD must have the 8.1 on it (1st) to put Win10 on it via Upgrade.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43865

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Wow, that's good deal! Anytime can find for significantly less than $1/GB is doing well.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43866

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Saw a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO on sale at Newegg for $110 USD...
    Have seen 480GB SSDs for about US$180

If OP is running out of freespace on a 180GB SSD it would make more sense to spend a few extra dollars and get a much larger SSD.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Progress Report: I purchased a larger SSD (Transcend Information 256 GB SATA III) from Amazon ($90) and hooked it into my computer to make a clone from the C-drive. Ooops. I forgot that this Intel board has a defect. I cannot run more than one hard drive at a time. I know, someone here can probably solve the problem, but I've wrestled with it in past years and I'm done wasting time. So I made the bold move. I bought a new motherboard (ASUS P8B75-m/CSM -- Intel B75 Chipset) from TigerDirect ($80) that is compatible with my CPU.

Right now I'm doing virtual cartwheels. In just two hours I replaced the old motherboard, and everything is working perfectly. Oh, the days I've spent toiling over a motherboard replacement in years and decades past. Oh the pain. Oh the mess spread across the dining room table for weeks. Oh how glad my wife is that she doesn't have to go through that this time. Now I'll see tomorrow if I can get this hard drive added and cloned. All on the march to being ready for Windows 10. <cue music>
    Last edited by Frodough; 2015-07-07 at 00:26. Reason: formatting

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanks for the update. Glad it has gone well so far. Keep up apprised.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Further Progress: And the march forward to Win 10 readiness continues! New motherboard galdly accommodates multiple hard drives (imagine that). Cloning of old drive using Acronis successful. Now operating off of new drive. There were a few snorts and wheezes from Norton, MS Office, Roboform and Adobe Acrobat concerning licensing, but now everybody is happy. It did take a couple of restarts to finally get things to settle down.

Windows 10, here I come!
    gonzo.png

New Lounger
    Thanks
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...IP_r_Body_Wiki
    This will enable you to try out W10 - Insider program.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    "Must I install 8.1 Pro on the new SSD first to qualify for Windows 10 Pro? Or can I start fresh on the new SSD with Windows 10 (and still get the free upgrade)?"

'frodo',

Yes to the 1st question & no to the second.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodough View Post
    I need help on a Windows 10 licensing/install issue. I have Windows Pro 8.1 running on a 180GB SSD, and I'm running out of elbow room. Before I upgrade/update to Windows 10, I'd like to get a bigger SSD. What is the path of least resistance where Windows licensing is concerned? Must I install 8.1 Pro on the new SSD first to qualify for Windows 10 Pro? Or can I start fresh on the new SSD with Windows 10 (and still get the free upgrade)?
    Read this for licensing/install: http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/22/88...ws-10-for-free