2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"dan at" is a spam magnet, what to do

I have been accumulating spam for June and have, by today, 1500 messages addressed to dan at my domain. Which is better; establish a rule to send all messages with this address directly to the trash or remove that alias from my domain?

I'm sure this issue has been addressed many times in this forum but a simple search failed to find any.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If the address is valuable to you, just get a good spam filter and deal with whatever gets through. If not, well, dumping will fix the issue for now.

Is there a reason for so much spam? Do you have the clear email address publicized somewhere?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This has been growing over the years and has gotten bad only in about the past two. I gave up using Outlook that mollified some of it. If I send the spam directly into the trash, nobody will notice but if the address is no longer valid, they might. That's my quandary.

I have not noticed any spam on the other aliases of my stonecherubs domain.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Try making it a forward address to something like gmail or hotmail, if you can. They both seem to handle spam well. You can then use your client to read from wherever you forwarded it to and be (reasonably) free of spam.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, thanks for the help. I think I am going to go with the rule that sends stuff to the trash directly. I'll not miss this address.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would delete the address as this will reduce traffic significantly over moving things to trash.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecherub View Post
    ...I'll not miss this address.
    Then delete it from your host server.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    If I had that problem I would direct that mail to a subfolder on the server via filter and check it every few weeks in case some ended up there that I wanted.

Well I thought about it and if it IS possible to delete just that one address that would be the way to. No extra work involved. I don't believe I can do that on my email providers server. It is a catch all type arrangement.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.