Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

One last question before death of XP

When I built computer and installed XP Pro 32bit many years ago, I was able to run 16 bit stuff left over from my Win 95
    machine; but all-of-a-sudden one day the 16 bit software quit running? From that point on, I had to use a DosBox. I always thought that a Microsoft Update caused this. Can anyone shed any light on THIS? OR know what KB? Although
    I have other machines with Win7 and more than likely will upgrade to Win10; I'm thinking of doing something with the
    XP box that might make it go back to running 16 bit stuff. I'm thinking that just reinstalling XP [no online useage] with no
    updates might just do the job. Your comments?

Thanks
    The reinstall sounds like a good idea.
    Once you do that, make an image of the OS.
    Then you can start installing stuff, while at the same time checking your 16 bit app compatibility and imaging prior to installs as needed.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could run XP box in a VM on your existing system, then you can easily muck around with it, limit its access to the internet etc.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use 16-bit apps in XP with no trouble (well, with one exception - a game, and it took a bit of tweaking). I've all the updates. They run in a dos box anyway, called the NTVDM.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    death of xp ???????????

I am still running 98se

xp will be here for a long time yet

Banned Member
    Thanks
    OMG!

Ooops, did I say that out loud.

XP is, already not here

"You could run XP box in a VM on your existing system, then you can easily muck around with it, limit its access to the internet etc.", Paul. Correction, could do this w/ it limited to not being on the Net, @ all. Can run a VM in Win10 w/ Hyper-V or same on 8.1 & w/ added software w/ Win7. Win7 can use VPC & XP Mode.

And the Thread title has a flaw; XP is, already, dead. Has been for a while.

XP:

Sorry, but, I cannot leave this one unaddressed. Um, what is it 15 years old or is it 20. This is not "Look @ me driving about in my shining OLD Classic car". There is no acceptable excuse or good reason for running XP, period. And I'll 2nd that no finger can be pointed @ Microsoft, in computing terms & in terms of technology's journey, it is a dinosaur (they are extinct), it's obsolete. Heaps of stuff does not work on, isn't written for it, designed for it or build for it & that is both hardware & software. BUT, none of that is the crux of the matter. Again, as an IT Pro security is paramount... at this point in time using XP is somewhere between not smart & dangerous. It is 100% vulnerable & nothing mitigates that nor can. If funds & budget are the obstacle go w/out a device. Forget about XP, if a computer is unaffordable. Go w/out XP not, food or rent. Running ZP on the Net is like wearing a sign that says "Kick me" AND one that says, "Shoot me". And what's worse and what I SO wish people would realise... you are not just hurting or threatening only yourself & exclusively your machine running XP on the Net. The criminal constantly look for lame duck, sitting duck machines and any XP machine is prime pickings. Once they get a hold of THAT machine their maliciousness now gets propagated out in to the World Wide Web & any number of other innocent machines. This is not a debatable topic... any use of XP should stop.

You can run 16 bit applications on x86 platforms. 7, 8.1 & 10.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43908

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I suspect there are not very many non 64 bit version of W8 and probably won't be any W10 so XP may be your only option for running 16 bit software.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been told that the IRS still uses Win XP, and I still see it on the computers at the branch of my bank. My doctor just switched to Win 7 but my dentist still uses XP. So off hand I'd say that XP is definitely not dead.
    Older 16 bit programs and games work the best on Win 95 or Win 98 with SoundBlaster audio and older graphics cards. I have an old Win 98 machine that I use mainly for old 16 bit and some 32 bit games.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    <snip>
    This is not a debatable topic... any use of XP should stop.
    It is debatable, but any such debate is futile, so I'm not going to enter one. I'll just say that I wouldn't presume to tell people to throw away things they like and leave it at that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

UncleStu (2015-07-02)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Both 8.1 & 10 are available in either 64 or 32.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43910

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Liking the old thing & being safe are not mutually exclusive.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43911

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you stay off of the Internet you can use Win XP for programs that suit your needs and/or entertainment. Being limited to IE 8 and no updates now makes it very risky doing anything on the Internet. Businesses should not be running XP machines hooked up to networks with Internet access. I didn't mean to imply that, it's asking for trouble. My wife and I both still have our old XP laptops that we use for things other than email or Web surfing. We've got a much newer and faster computer for that, and it has Win 7 on it.
    Last edited by CEScott; 2015-06-28 at 12:40. Reason: Added Win 7 as the OS

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    If you stay off of the Internet you can use Win XP for programs that suit your needs and/or entertainment. Being limited to IE 8 and no updates now makes it very risky doing anything on the Internet. Businesses should not be running XP machines hooked up to networks with Internet access. I didn't mean to imply that, it's asking for trouble. My wife and I both still have our old XP laptops that we use for things other than email or Web surfing. We've got a much newer and faster computer for that, and it has Win 7 on it.
    Right on!! That's the (right) idea!! Good on you, mate!

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43912

Thanks
    OMG!

Ooops, did I say that out loud.

Attachment 43908
    I hope not because if the XP Zombies heard you they will be coming for your brain.

Last edited by wavy; 2015-06-28 at 13:27. Reason: sp
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Both 8.1 & 10 are available in either 64 or 32.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43910
    Right. But then so was Win7, WinVista, and WinXP Professional [not Home]. I have a copy of WinXP Pro 64-bit but by the time I had 64-bit hardware available I had a need for 64-bit Vista on it. The availability of WinXP Pro 64-bit was a lot like Win95B and Win95C support for FAT32 which seemed to be only available from the OEMs, never could find it as an upgrade or retail version. I got the feeling Microsoft didn't want to handle the problem, let the OEMs take care of them on their hardware.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast