Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 prepratory Windows Updates

I keep writing here cuz I get more confused every time Ask Woody.com or Susan Bradley comes out with the Newsletter or Patch Watch. I have a new Pc I bought mid Dec of 2014 with 8.1 after having Vista for 8 yrs. lol and not even knowing what a Windows Update was till I bought Woody's excellent 8.1 book for help. I consider myself an average user and only use my PC for email, chatting on Messenger, a little surfing when I need to know about something, pics etc nothing heavy. I don't want to reserve Win 10 right now although Woody said in one Blurb a few weeks ago there is no reason not to as u can set the date u want to update to Win 10 anytime if I have that right???? I would prefer to go to Win 10 about 4-6 months after it has been out. Right now I have four KB's that Susan has said in her June 24th Patch Watch and her article on " What U should know about the Win 10 Launch". The KB's I have that she commented on and I will show her quotes in a sec, KB3068708, KB2976978, KB3050267 , KB3058168. I think most or all are Optional and seem to be the major ones written about right now. Here is her quote on her June 24th Patch Watch. "
    No major issues with June nonsecurity fixes

With the security updates well out of the way, it’s time to install June’s optional patches. “Optional” is the operative word here; some of the updates — such as KB 3068708 — are designed to prepare Win7 and Win8.1 systems for upgrading to Windows 10. If you have no plans to migrate to the next Windows soon, there’s no need to add the related updates.
    From her June 17th Know about Win 10 Launch

Moreover, the reservation system is not as simple as you might expect. To prepare Win7/8 systems for Win10, Microsoft has already released several related updates, some of them with vague descriptions. KB 3035583, for example, adds “capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user.” KB 2952664 for Win7 SP1 makes “improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows.” And KB 2976978 for Windows 8.1 determines “whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed.”
    Other Win10-related updates for Win7 and Win 8 include KB 3050265 (Win7), KB 3050267 (Win8.1), and KB 3068708.
    If you have no plans to upgrade to Windows 10 soon, none of those updates is needed; they can all be hidden. And if you decide to upgrade to Win10, say, six months from now, there will undoubtedly be new Win7/8 updates to help with that process.
    This last quote seems to be very troubling? What does she mean " there undoubtedly will be new Win 7/8 updates to help with that process" ???? How does she know that and if Microsoft didn't want u to install the four Updates that I have mentioned even though mostly Optional why not install them now. If u don't install these then what even though they will I'm sure have tons of other updates till July 29th. Are the four I have now just going to be forgotten about by Microsoft prepping ur Win 8.1? I think I will stop here as this is pretty long. Sorry. Any replies will be appreciated. Thanks.
    drdoo2 / Pat

Thanks
    "there undoubtedly will be new Win 7/8 updates to help with that process"
    Nobody really knows except MS, but it's highly likely that there will be other pre-W10 updates related specifically to the W10 download.
    Maybe it's preparatory maybe it's not, who knows.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint.
    drdoo2

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    My understanding is that when you reserve Win10 Microsoft will at some point download it in the background, However, you will decide the timing of the Win10 installation. IMO, that is fine for those who plan on upgrading in the first 30 - 60 days after July 29. Since you have stated you are going to wait 4 - 6 months I recommend you hide KB3035583. KB3035583 is the patch which adds the reservation capability and Windows tasks which are scheduled to manage it. If you've already installed any of the others don't worry about it. If you haven't I'd go ahead and install them or hide them whichever approach you feel best about. I find trying to keep track of all the various comments about patches to be more time consuming to track than I'm willing to expend. For years (more than a decade) I've installed all the patches released every month on multiple machines.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517. KB3035583 got installed by mistake I guess u could call it. I bought my PC at Best Buy and got their Geek SQuad Support and during an online remote optimization of my PC awhile back they installed the Updates I had sitting there, although I told the initial Agent to put down I do not want my Updates Installed. Is that hurting anything 583 got installed? I have the reservation symbol in my tool tray and in my Update Window. Should I uninstall 583 ? If u don't reserve what does it matter if u install the Win 10 prep Updates ? U said about the KB's I asked about in my Post to do what I feel best??? Well, I don't know what I feel best about? I don't know enough to install or not install looking for someone knowledgeable to tell me yes or no to install the four KB's I have. I did hide them already. Thanks for ur help.
    drdoo2 / Pat

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drdoo2 View Post
    ...KB3035583 got installed by mistake...
    I have seen many complaints about the sudden appearance of the "Windows 10 Upgrade" icon in the notification area after installing KB3035583.

Uninstalling KB3035583 might not help, as it will probably be re-installed within a short time.

Better to disable the nag icon as detailed in my post at: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1007950
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    If you uninstall KB3035583 and then "hide it" when it is next offered by Windows Update, it wont' hassle you again.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Coochin. That little Icon doesn't bother me a bit and I think it is quite funny that it sitting there and people want to remove it is quite funny. I guess u missed the core of my Post but thanks.

drdoo2

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You should go to Windows Updates and change the settings from auto to Check for but let me decide... and then nothing will or should get auto installed.

When you get notification of any updates you can go to Windows Updates, click on what it is presenting and if it isn't obvious then click on each and then on More info in the right pane.

If you want to hide any, right click on them and select Hide.