New Lounger
    Thanks

Wife's Win7 PC shows up in Network list, but I can't access it

See previous thread for recently solved issue with my home network sharing.

But now I have another problem as I try to resolve old issues. My wife has a 2-year old Win7 Home Premium (LAURA-HP). I have a new Win8.1 laptop and a 4-year old Win7 Home Premium desktop. My previous problem of sharing between my machines was solved by RetiredGeek's solution of sharing via "Authenticated Users" instead of using the (useless) Homegroup.

But now when I apply the same technique to the wife's PC so I can finally network with it after all these years of frustration, I run into an unexpected problem. See the previous thread for RetiredGeek's method. After setting up LAURA-HP sharing for "Authenticated Users", I went to both of my machines and saw "LAURA-HP" show up in the "Network" listing in File Explorer, BUT when I click on her PC, it gives the following error messages:!]

Win8.1: Windows can't find "LAURA-HP". ... make sure it is turned on ... [Of course its turned on, it even shows up in the Network listing!

Win7: You do not have permission to access \\LAURA-HP. Contact your network administrator to request access.

Help.

jwoods
    Do you have an account on LAURA-HP?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    rlah,

That was the reason for the Identical Accounts directive in the instructions I referenced. You can have multiple accounts on each machine so each user can have their own name & password to log on with but you also setup an account Identical to the one on which you want to access a network share on. I hope I haven't made this too confusing. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    On LAURA-PC is network discovery and file sharing turned on?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Solved (for now)

This morning, before setting up any new accounts on wife's PC, I went to my Win7 desktop (with local user account) and Win8.1 laptop (with MS account) and both could now see several folders under the LAURA-HP networked PC. It seems like the network sharing just took some time to roll out. My Win7 desktop could access almost all of her folders, even her "Laura" user account folders.

However, the Win8.1 laptop could not access the contents of most of the folder's. It could access a shared external USB HD, but none of the main HD's contents except the Public User contents.

For now, this will actually serve my needs. If I need better access later from my new laptop, I'll try setting up another user account on wife's PC with my credentials as RetiredGeek suggested.

JoeP517: Yes, I recall checking the settings you mentioned and that these items were both turned on.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    rlah,

That was the reason for the Identical Accounts directive in the instructions I referenced. You can have multiple accounts on each machine so each user can have their own name & password to log on with but you also setup an account Identical to the one on which you want to access a network share on. I hope I haven't made this too confusing. HTH
    When using the Identical Accounts/Workgroup method is it strictly necessary for users to have a password? Will Workgroup file sharing work without passwords?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Starvin,

Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    When using the Identical Accounts/Workgroup method is it strictly necessary for users to have a password? Will Workgroup file sharing work without passwords?
    To the best of my knowledge YES you MUST have passwords. However, You will not have to enter them once the accounts are setup to access the other machines. For example:

Machine1 Moe Larry Curly
    Machine2 Larry Moe Curly
    Machine3 Curly Moe Larry

If Moe logs on to his machine he will not have to enter passwords, or userid for that matter, to access the shares on Larry & Curly's machines. He will however have to use a password to log on to his own machine. This can be circumvented with SysInternals AutoLogon utility.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Lugh (2015-07-17)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanbks. This should help when setting it all up!