New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't connect to website

There's a website that I visit semi-regularly that I can no longer connect to from my home network.

I'm on Time Warner cable, with my own (DOCSIS 3) modem and my own (Netgear?) N-router.

The message I get back from Firefox/Chrome/IE is that the site has timed out. After this got tiring, I tried to connect to the site from my phone (without wifi), and it connects, so I know the site is not down.

Same behavior from other PCs and tablets on my network.

I was using OpenDNS as my dns of choice on my router, but switched one entry to a Google dns, so see if that was the problem. No change.

I occasionally see other web sites with a link to a specific page on that site and click the link, but no change in behavior. Times out.

Ideas?

/ghostbuster

jwoods
    Have you tried clearing cookies and temp files?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I have not, but I will, on all the PCs. Not sure how that will help on an Android tablet, though :-}

jwoods
    Before you do that, can you post the URL of the site you're trying to reach?

You might also check the site on "Is It Down Right Now?"

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm not sure from your post as to whether Same behavior from other PCs and tablets on my network. relates to you being able to connect to the sites the same as your phone or you can't connect with them either.

Can you clarify please.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, not very clear on my part. Only my cellphone via my carrier is able to connect to the site. All PCs and tablets on my network exhibit the same behavior - site times out. That's why I was questioning the DNS as a possible culprit; the router, modem and dns are all common to the devices with the problem. The phone, connected via Verizon Wireless, does not have the time out problem.

Thank you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks - that was what I was wanting to determine and agree the router is the common denominator - to a point.

Are the machines also set to either Open DNS or Google or set to auto DNS ?

Log back into the router and change that to auto DNS so that it is using the ISP's servers and that the machines are also set to auto DNS and then see how you do then.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There may be an issue with a network route between you and that site - your phone works because it is on a different part of the internet (network). I find waiting 24 hours usually gives time for it to be fixed.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostbuster View Post
    ....Only my cellphone via my carrier is able to connect to the site. All PCs and tablets on my network exhibit the same behavior - site times out. ...Thank you.
    I would wonder if the site is blocked by the HOSTS list...but then it should be blocked all the time. Might make sure your site of interest is not listed.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350...ur-hosts-file/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    chrome does that to a lot of sites on my pc with winxpprosp3
    not as much with win 8

its the software mismatches with all the constant upgrades from so many uncoordinated hackers spewing forth so called improvements

Quote Originally Posted by ghostbuster View Post
    There's a website that I visit semi-regularly that I can no longer connect to from my home network.

I'm on Time Warner cable, with my own (DOCSIS 3) modem and my own (Netgear?) N-router.

The message I get back from Firefox/Chrome/IE is that the site has timed out. After this got tiring, I tried to connect to the site from my phone (without wifi), and it connects, so I know the site is not down.

Same behavior from other PCs and tablets on my network.

I was using OpenDNS as my dns of choice on my router, but switched one entry to a Google dns, so see if that was the problem. No change.

I occasionally see other web sites with a link to a specific page on that site and click the link, but no change in behavior. Times out.

Ideas?

/ghostbuster

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    that does not help

and I lost a lot of passwords and help I wanted

Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    Have you tried clearing cookies and temp files?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Why are you storing passwords in your browser? Get a password manager!

cheers, Paul

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-07-11)