Thanks

7 of the Biggest PC Hardware Myths That Just Won’t Die

From the How To Geek:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/220297/

Jerry

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2015-06-26),Sudo15 (2015-06-26)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Interesting article, Jerry but I was surprised to see that guy handling that board the way he was - mustn't have heard that static can knack chips.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Interesting article, Jerry but I was surprised to see that guy handling that board the way he was - mustn't have heard that static can knack chips.
    I must confess I never use anti static protection except for touching the case to ground myself when I work on or repair a computer. Been doing that for over 20 years without a problem handling CPUs, memory boards, motherboards and PCI cards. Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never had a problem.

Jerry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-06-27)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, but you're still grounding yourself.

I've always only handled cards by their edges and have never touched the components - that guy is even holding it by the soldered contact side which would feed across the components.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    ...I never use anti static protection except for touching the case to ground myself when I work on or repair a computer. Been doing that for over 20 years without a problem handling CPUs, memory boards, motherboards and PCI cards...
    Same here Jerry.

AFAIK the static electricity thing is far more likely to be a problem in warm-hot dry weather conditions w/ very low humidity.

Never had even the slightest tingle myself.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Not really worth reading IMO, nothing new to report that may be of value to users.

cheers, Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

A1ex (2015-06-27)

Thanks
    After reading the article, the comparison points being made is like comparing apples to oranges (the fruits) and you just cant do that with laptops and desktops, custom builds vs OEMs. Where to start with pointing out all the faults of that....there is just to many to list.

Thanks
    The article doesn't hold alot of meaning for me. It's presented in half truths and omissions;

1. Multicore processors will ALWAYS perform better, not necessarily faster, regarless of the ancient software one is using. Multitasking will alway be benaficial on a multicore processor.
    2. ALL software regardless will use most of the cores on any multicore processor, the article's logic is just plain
    WRONG when they say only one core will be used.
    3. A potent i7 will NOT automatically use it's entire speed bandwidth, even overclocked. It uses what it needs then
    throttles back. The concept is called POWER MANAGEMENT.
    4 Building your own PC really can save you money, but for me it doesn't (I tend to go high end).
    The best saving can be had with a moderately potent midrangeself built system.
    5 There is such a thing as too much RAM, but most people just don't figure on it, let alone know enough
    to clock it up beyond stock.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rather cartoonish article as most of How to Geek articles are.

Sudo is correct...you should not touch any electrical contact point if you can avoid it as it is just good practice...but it is soooooo much fun running your little primate fingers across those IDE pins.....oooooooooou I just can't help it. Unfortunately static electricity can jump some serious gap and even arcs you do not feel can be a serious discharge to a grounded microthin trace. I too only touch case outsides for grounding---second nature at this point before even hitting the power button (after I had a discharge leap the power button and start up a system before I hit the power button).

Don't pet the cat before you type on the computer either. Those keyboard discharge are rough.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Nail the cat to the keyboard and you won't have a discharge problem.

cheers, Paul

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2015-06-28)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Couldn't resist that Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I must confess I never use anti static protection except for touching the case to ground myself when I work on or repair a computer. Been doing that for over 20 years without a problem handling CPUs, memory boards, motherboards and PCI cards. Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never had a problem.

Jerry
    Yeah me nether. But for most of the boards I touched w/o grounding straps I was being paid by the hour! But seriously a quick touch to a ground point is a good precaution. My teachers who warned about problems caused by ESD always said they were intermittent and extremely hard to trouble shoot. That is not something I would want to have to deal w/ on my home electronics!
    I am still planning on attaching a ground touch plat on my new box.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Static can build up in your body just from the friction from your clothes.

Does anyone remember nylon shirts ?

Many moons ago I had a couple that I used to dread taking off as it was like a fireworks display and used to hurt like hell