New Lounger
    Thanks

Backup external drive

I use an external hdd for data due to frequent carrying. Make backup manually once per 14 days on an other external storage. How can this be a way to relieve automatic incremental backups, so that data on both disks are up to date?
    It operates some sw this style?:
    1/ primary backup data to another disk
    2/ after a certain time comparison of both disks
    3/ update backup - only new or changed files (incremental backup)
    I tried Beyond Compare, which is great for some users. Especially for someone who wants to have total control over the process. After all, it is more efficient for me to somehow automate= more simplify.
    Thanks for the tip
    Peter

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use Robocopy to duplicate disks because it only copies new or updated files. You must perform the set up manually and there is no GUI, but it's built into Windows and is very good.
    SyncBackFree has a nice GUI and scheduling. http://www.2brightsparks.com/download-syncbackfree.html

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I would suggest building a home server. For around $400 using an older computer, I have added 9TB hard drive space and running Windows Home server 2011. Runs continuously and flawlessly with no monitor, keyboard, or mouse connected. I can remote in from any computer via internet and stream media. I can also manage my server from an installed app on any of my networked computers. There are continuous incremental backups of every computer in my network (7) including ext HDs on to the server. Once every 6 months I do a backup of the server itself.

People are intimidated by a home server and think that they are not capable to undertake the project. Even one with moderate know-how can do this. Once completed, everything is safely backed up while able to stream video throughout your house to TVs, networked computers and to the internet.

HTH,
    Maud

Thanks
    If a home server is not in the cards, I recommend making OS and data partitions images on two external media devices, just in case one device temporarily "goes offline."
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you are going the home server route you could use FreeNAS rather than Windows.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Just a note....I setup FreeNAS and had it running for about 6 months. The setup was in my opinion requires an advanced knowledge background. Its features were also very limited. Even though Win Home Server 2011 is dead, there are still copies out there pretty cheap. With Microsoft abandoning the Home Server route, FreeNAS may be the next best choice.

Another solution may be to backup in the cloud with OneDrive
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2015-06-30 at 07:30.

Thanks
    Just investigating this, it seems that Win 8 can act as a home server - see http://lifehacker.com/5955262/use-wi...ws-home-server and http://www.pcworld.com/article/20266...me-server.html et al.

It helps if you have a 'spare' pc, which I should have shortly when my brand spanking sparkly new pc is delivered shortly, so this might be a good way forward for me.

But it might not be for others.

I have to say that when I looked at the FreeNAS page I thought 'I'll look at this later ... perhaps'. YMMV

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    FreeNAS has pretty much any feature you could want via plug-ins.
    It can be daunting at first, but so can Windows networking.

cheers, Paul