New Lounger
    Thanks

Graphics adapter in new laptop: OK to use for UHD flat screen TV?

I purchased a new Asus Zenbook UX305FA USM1 and am weighing my options to use it sometimes as my main computer... mainly because of the SSD drive and an aging 5-yr old desktop. Because I currently rely on dual monitors with my desktop, I'm researching what I could do with this laptop which has a micro HDMI port for video output and a FHD 1920x1080 display. I'm wondering about using a large flat screen TV to give me a very large desktop space. I'm now even wondering about the possibility of maybe a 40" 4K UHD flat screen to have many open windows visible for a big desktop. (Actually I've wanted three monitors for my extended desktop space...)

So this gets me into the "graphics adapter" world that is unfamiliar to me now. This unit has an "Intel HD Graphics 5300" adapter. And I wondered if it would even support the resolution of UHD (aka ~4k) and this article by notebookcheck.net says of this adapter:
    "The video engine can now decode H.265 using both fixed function hardware as well as available GPU shaders. Up to three displays can be connected via DP 1.2/eDP 1.3 (max. 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz) or HDMI 1.4a (max. 3840 x 2160 @ 24 Hz). HDMI 2.0, however, is not supported."

That's a lot of digital tech talk...
    1) Will it power a UHD (3840 x 2160) flat screen TV? ... not for playing games, movies, or videos, but having maybe 8 different windows (word processing, multiple browsers, email, OCR programs, graphics programs, PDF viewers, etc.) all open on the same desktop? ... and give me the 4 foot experience of a very large desktop?

2) And intriguingly, how in the world would you connect "three displays ... via DP 1.2/eDP 1.3"? Three displays ... via 1 HDMI output port? Is this possible?

Sorry if this is too many questions for one post...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There is some information on the Intel site about this. https://communities.intel.com/thread/51410

I would take the laptop to a store and test before buying anything.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul. Good info there... I did finally come across the wording on Amazon's site for the Asus Zenbook UX305FA that confirms this:
    "When connected via the micro-HDMI port to a larger 4K display, play video up to 4K resolution and enjoy the highest fidelity visual entertainment."
    So that answers my first question... now if I could just get a 32-37" UHD (or 4K) flat screen/display for cheap.

But if I can't find a UHD display for low enough cost, I'm still wondering if I can get a triple display (extended desktop) setup with just the single micro HDMI output... is this only possible with "DisplayPort"?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Don't know, must be search time.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Checking the UX305's specs and reviews it appears that you can connect one external display, UHD or otherwise. Certainly it will duplicate the laptop screen, and you can turn the laptop screen itself on or off while using the external display. Once the external display is working you can check under Display Properties in Windows if it will allow you to extend the desktop (dual-monitor) but that's about all. Typically, the number of external display connectors is the maximum number of displays supported by that particular computer. For example, my desktop has outputs for HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI and VGA. i can use any 3 of those at once. HDMI/DisplayPort/DVI will all support UHD and operate as a triple-monitor array @ 60HZ. VGA is more limited...

Thanks
    I don't know enough about the laptop and screen you're talking about, but I did run an Alienware [ie high-end] laptop for 18 months as a desktop replacement.

I used a docking station to connect the peripherals--2 TVs, keyboard and mouse. I didn't use the laptop screen at all, just kept it closed apart from start up and shut down, but it could have been a 3rd monitor. My TVs were only HD @ 1920x1080, which suits my bad eyes--they're still my two monitors with my current desktop.

One other advantage of a docking station is that it's a single USB connection to the laptop, so if you run about a lot with the laptop, you have only the one cable to disconnect and you're set to go.

Paul's advice is sound, test in store to see if theory works in practice.

Anyway, just wanted to make you aware of docking station as an option--maybe there are hybrids which can boost video thruput if necessary, I have no idea.