Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks

Need help preparing laptop for upgrade

Not sure if this is the right section but I want to clean install Win 7 on this laptop and get rid of the Recovery partition in preparation to upgrading to Win 10.

As it is something I haven't done before, I'd appreciate a walk through.

NwDM.PNG

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    ...I want to clean install Win 7 on this laptop and get rid of the Recovery partition...
    You could boot from a Windows installation DVD and run Setup, delete all partitions on the drive, create a new partition to use all available space on the drive, and install Win7 to the new Windows partition. This should force Win7 to locate it's boot files on the new Windows partition instead of a separate "System Reserved" partition.

I use "BootIt Bare Metal" http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-bare-metal.htm to dual boot between OS partitions on my computers. BootItBM is an excellent boot manager and partition manager, and includes "Image for DOS" which is an excellent imaging program. Can be installed to its own 8MB partition, preferably the first partition on the primary drive, then used to manage all attached drives/partitions. Can also boot from CD for partitioning/imaging operations.

EDIT: please refer to my #4 post below re the bolded statement above.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2015-06-27 at 21:57. Reason: add note to refer to post #4
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    My thought is that you can shrink/delete the first partition and extend the C: partition.
    Coochin is far smarter at this than I am but is this helpful?

Removing a partition
    From the Computer Management window, delete the volume, delete the partition, and then add the unallocated
    space to another disk.
    Read the following section for more detailed instructions.
    Deleting the volume, partition, and then using the Extend Volume wizard to re-allocate the space
    1. Right-click the volume or partition you want to delete, and then click Delete Volume...
    2. If you have backed up the data you want to keep, click Yes .
    The drive letter disappears and the partition is labeled as Free space.
    3. Right-click the free space. In the menu that displays, click Delete Partition...
    Now the space is shown as Unallocated .
    4. Right-click the drive to which you want to add the unallocated space. In the menu that displays, click Extend
    Volume...
    5. The Extend Volume Wizard displays. Click Next .
    6. The Select Disks window displays. Do not change any settings. Click Next .
    7. Click Finish .
    The unallocated space can now be used.

Thanks
    @ Sudo15

Sorry, I didn't think to look at the screenshot in your #1 post.

Rather than:
    ...delete all partitions on the drive, create a new partition to use all available space on the drive...
    I should have written "...delete the 'Recovery' and 'Windows (C)' partitions, create a new 'Windows' partition in the 'Unallocated Space' on the drive...".

This of course assumes you want to keep the "Data (D)" partition.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Windows 7 is relatively easy to change the boot info after you have deleted the recovery partition and moved the other partitions to where you want them.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...70#post1008370

cheers, Paul

Banned Member
    Thanks
    When beginning the install, delete everything except the Data drive. Now use that space as New & put 7 there. That's it. It will recreate the SR partition when it installs so don't worry about that part. Can't screw it up as it's all listed by name & size in those initial install windows.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43907

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks guys - now I think I'm even more confused than before

I think I'll just take it into PC World along with my SP1 ISO and ask them to do it.

My plan is to use this older laptop to get to know Win 10 and if I'm comfortable with it, factory reset it then restore with a system image and then have my newer Win 7 laptop cleaned up the same and upgrade that to Win 10.

That laptop has a number keypad and doesn't feel so cumbersome to use.

I know I could just get the other laptop cleaned up and upgrade that, but given my recent experience with the failed repair install, I'd like this one cleaned up and then Windows won't or shouldn't have the excuse that there's insufficient free space.

I need at least one Win 7 laptop so that my Epson printer will be fully functional as while I can get Win 8.1 drivers for the printer side of things, the scanner isn't supported - so that's not likely to work in Win 10 either.

Thanks
    Thanks guys - now I think I'm even more confused than before
    LOL, I know the feeling.
    I bought a new laptop ( HP ProBook 450 G2, Win 7 Pro downgraded from 8.1 Pro ) and am in the process of getting it prepared for win 10. I got it set up for the OEM side of things and just cloned the HDD last night so that I have something to go back to in case win 10 is not for me.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Get stuck in, you've nothing to lose. We're here to help.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Get stuck in, you've nothing to lose. We're here to help.

cheers, Paul
    I would have but with different advice - which do I take ?

Coochin's advice seems to be the most logical but it's creating the new partition I'm stuck on.

Drew's advice to install it in the Recovery D: partition - would that then have the OS in D: instead of C: and your link Paul, doesn't quite cover it for me - it's the bits in between A - Z.

Lumpy's advice assumes I know what he's talking about like the Extend Volume Wizard.

Tomorrow I'll back up the bits I want onto my new 931GB (supposedly 1TB) external HDD then pop down to PC World on Wednesday, but thanks for the encouragement

I'll have enough to do with reinstalling programs and WUs to work my way through the various steps given.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-06-29 at 05:08.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Coochin's advice is always worth taking.
    My solution is much the same, but with instructions to re-create the boot record - from personal experience creating disk images for deployment in AD domains, worked every time.
    Do it yourself and learn some new stuff.

cheers, Paul

Banned Member
    Thanks
    You are not quoting me correctly. Nothing ends up w/ an OS on D:\. The (New) OS drive is C:\, the norm.

We were/are all basically telling you the same (best) approach. We've all done it many times. Delete the drives, don't touch D:\, the Data drive, make a New drive & install there, the New drive not, D:\. Already, had said, don't touch D:\. Nothing about the OS ending up there. When the OS installs it creates its Recovery Partition.

We all said the same, unsurprisingly.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43920
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-06-29 at 05:30.

Thanks
    @Sudo15

According to the screenshot in your #1 post the first partition on "Disk 0" is "400MB Healthy (Active, Recovery Partition)" and is "Hidden"; think of it as "Partition 1".

The second partition is "Windows (C)"; think of it as "Partition 2".

The third partition is "Data (D)"; think of it as "Partition 3".

Assuming you want to retain "Partition 3", delete "Partition 1" and "Partition 2" (after booting and running Setup from the Windows installation DVD). Then create a new partition using all of the resulting "Unallocated Space" and tell Setup to install Windows to the new partition.

Thanks
    Sudo15,
    Coochin and Drew's method are basically the same ( Coochin's is worded a bit better/clearer ) and it would be the best/easiest method to get you where you want to go with what you want to do.
    Those partition options are all there when you use the installation DVD. Sorry if those instructions I gave earlier added to the confusion .
    As Paul T alludes to "Try it, you'll like it".

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanks, 'l95'. Didn't know wasn't worded well but, did know, & had said, we were saying the same thing which, isn't surprising. Thanks for you, also, confirming that to 'S15'.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43925

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast