Thanks

Setting up Google Apps for Business

I want to set up and migrate to GAB. Problem is, I want to keep the same e-mail address in GAB that I have been using with my current ISP. I have been trying to find a "how-to" for the process, and, although it's there, sorta, it doesn't address the issue from the standpoint of expecting problems.

Will I be keeping the same ISP, and then GAB is the "final connection" of the account? Or will I use Google's DNS settings etc., and therefore lose my current settings? And then what will happen to e-mail sent while I am setting up the final stages?

Especially

I have an MS Exchange account through my current ISP, and it handles the bulk of my e-mail. Google seemed to have answers for IMAP changeovers, but not so much for Exchange. I can deal with my e-mail being "down" for a time, but not necessarily losing the connection/emails. What will happen to those emails?

On the one hand, this change looks like a great idea and problem-solver. But when one starts planning the steps....

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You will not be able to migrate your current email address to GAB unless it is in a domain you own. Is it? https://support.google.com/a/answer/177483?hl=en
    You can use any DNS servers you like as long as you can manage the DNS - change / add entries. Using your existing DNS will be quicker than migrating to Google's DNS.
    There will be some interruption to email reception while the DNS change is made, but email should queue during the changeover. (You may need to migrate mail that ends up in the wrong place during the changeover.)
    Transferring your mails to GAB will require you export and then import. https://support.google.com/a/answer/2790331?hl=en

Planning is always the tricky part. I'm sure we can help there.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

CWBillow (2015-06-28)

Thanks
    Thanks Paul.

1) Yes, I own the the domain(s).

I'm not sure what you mean by "You can use any DNS servers you like as long as you can manage the DNS - change / add entries. Using your existing DNS will be quicker than migrating to Google's DNS."

I must have dealt with that years back, but I actually cannot remember. Currently with 1and1, I'm not optimistic that they would be the ones to ask, and Google, being the "open platform" they are, doesn't really have, that I have found, a step-by-step.

Added to that, every time I think I am getting an answer to one question, another pops up! It seems that if I were starting from scratch this wouldn't be all that complicated to set up a GAB account. It's the transfer that's sticky. And, if I were going to change over from cwbillow@componentics.com to cwbillow@gmail.com, it would be less complicated as well, but I'd like to keep my e-mail, so I wouldn't have to notify hundreds of people and/or subscriptions of my new info.

It seems like a great idea -- the change -- but it doesn't seem to be a cakewalk. I don't remember now who my original ISP was, but when I changed over to 1and1, 1and1 pretty much handled it. Same for moving from IMAP to Exchange. Pretty painless -- daunting, but nevertheless painless.

Moving over to GAB, not so much. Maybe I'm just getting old and/or feeble-minded!

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    1and1 have advanced DNS management, so you can leave them as your domain registrar and use Google apps for mail with your existing domain name.
    The real question is "why do you need to use Google apps". Local apps work well, cloud backup is easy and your mail is working.

p.s. don't post your email address unless you want even more spam.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Paul;

First, my domain registrations are with GoDaddy, not 1and1. So I would end up using GoDaddy's DNS, yes, or no?

Secondly, GMail / Google Apps for Business has some neat built-ins that 1and1 does not -- like aliases. ChuckBillow, ChuckBillow+windowssecrets both would send the mail to ChuckBillow@... But it would then have built-in tracking for sales, or spam locators, or...

Third, 1and1 has a 2gig mailbox size limit unless you upgrade, which I did, but that means now I am paying $10 / month PLUS my site pack quarterly costs, so it's roughly $30/month, and the $10 is per address, so, for instance, as my daughter nears her limit, which she is doing, it will be another $10/month, and lastly (perhaps)

I have been getting consistent errors in my Exchange account, so I am paying extra for the joy of having issues.

I don't look forward to this process, really. I don't relish having I/T take over my day. But I would like to find solutions that work and that last, not to have to be fixed repeatedly almost weekly. Contrary to what many on this board may think, I like learning trying new things -- like Windows 10 -- but that is always with the intention and hope that the issues get resolved. Having to call my ISP every couple weeks is a pain.

Chuck
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2015-06-29 at 05:04. Reason: typos

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yes, you will use GD's DNS. GD have good DNS management - I use them.
    That's expensive, Fastmail is $40 + $5 per extra account per year (aliases, web pages etc). Whatever you choose you will have pain so decide on a provider, write up a plan (we'll help) and go for it.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Paul, since GD as of now is only my domain registrar, I'll have to purchase services from them for the DNS. How much is it, say, per domain? I'll look at Fastmail as well.

Chuck

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    AFAIK GD provide DNS management as part of the registration service. Just checked and that is still the case for my domain, although I have the DNS elsewhere.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    It's a it "scarey" how much I DON'T know about all this. Every time I take another r look there's something I didn't account for yet. I should be ready for a changeover by, say, Christmas!

Chuck

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CWBillow For This Useful Post:

Paul T (2015-06-30)