2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10/Loss of Control of Updating

I know this updating issue has been discussed before, but I'm hoping Gordon Kelly's article in Forbes is in error. This is a direct quote from his article

"Windows 10 introduces something new and highly unpleasant for its millions of consumers: the complete loss of control.

This revelation comes as Microsoft drip feeds nuggets of information ahead of Windows 10ís July 29th release and it is sure to spark anger and frustration as awareness grows. In a nutshell all upgraders to Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro (whether free or paid) will be forced to install every feature, patch and fix Microsoft throws at them or have their security updates cut off."

I haven't read that Win10 Pro will be similarly effected like Home will be. Please tell me he is mistaken. I did not know whether it is proper to link to his article directly in this forum, but I can if need be.

Diane
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Win 10 Home only will have auto updates and I share your concern given MS's current record of botched patches.

It's probably too much to hope they will have put as much effort into effecting those as they have with Win 10 - but if Win 10's release is the finished article, why would it need updates.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That article does indicate that Windows 10 Pro will be able to delay updates for 4-8 months: Windows 10 Upgrades Cannot Be Stopped