New Lounger
    Thanks

"Free" Windows 10 Version Downgrades Win 7 Full Version to an OEM Version

*Windows Offer Details

Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; standard data rates apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

================================================== =====

So if you decide to "upgrade" to Win 10, your WIN 7 copy (which could be installed and switched between any PC), would then be tied to the PC that Win 10 gets installed on. i.e. it gets downgraded into an OEM version

So after you suffer a hard drive crash with your free version of WIN 10 you then have to buy a new hard drive AND a new copy of Windows.

Thanks
    My understanding is that this is as it's always been. Whenever you have upgraded to Win x, Win x-1 can't be used on another PC. But you wouldn't have to buy a new copy of windows, though you may have to speak to MS to re-register it.

Thanks
    So after you suffer a hard drive crash with your free version of WIN 10 you then have to buy a new hard drive AND a new copy of Windows.
    There has been much discussion on the forums about downloading an ISO of 10 and burning it to Disc just for those emergency's.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windows-rob View Post
    *Windows Offer Details

Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; standard data rates apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

================================================== =====

So if you decide to "upgrade" to Win 10, your WIN 7 copy (which could be installed and switched between any PC), would then be tied to the PC that Win 10 gets installed on. i.e. it gets downgraded into an OEM version

Why would you? If follow a decent backup regimen and create proper disk images, not only will you be able to recover your system and data to a new disk in a very short time, but there will be no need to buy any copy of Windows.

Even if you don't backup properly, I wouldn't expect any issues with activating your Windows 7 license, even if over the phone, after you explained what happened to Microsoft support. All reports I have had access to point to Microsoft not refusing to activate Windows when the reasons given to activate are legitimate.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I don't know where the heck you got that but, no, no & no. Can barely follow or get the gist of what you are saying because there is so much 'NO' to it. The top part is fairly ok. But, that bottom part... eeek. Noooooo.

If you are saying 'what if' the HDD fails... Take the ISO, Custom install on the new HDD. Maybe, will have to ring MS to generate a new Product Key, Bob's your uncle... the M/B & CPU were not changed, it's the same machine. HDD failed, OS was re-installed on the same machine as it was. No biggie, happens lots.

"it gets downgraded into an OEM version"

This^, no clue what you are suggesting w/ this one, @ all. Nothing is downgraded to anything. If entitled one received the thing @ No Charge w/ the stipulation, "for the life of THAT device". That's a kewl gift. If one wants, @ some time, something more or different than that one can buy Windows 10.

Also, it has been clearly stated, once the Upgrade has been done, the ISO can be used to Custom (re)install on that same machine over & over, again.

Why does some of this (not necessarily from any one person in particular) sound like no matter what good there is or that we get, we are still going to fuss or complain about something... if it's Microsoft or Windows we must find fault.

Maybe, just maybe, there is another side to the coin... even if it's overdue, maybe there is... better now than not @ all.

Interestingly enough, as I am composing this note, I see 'a-mdb' has said the same thing regarding the replaced HDD. Hmmm, imagine that. Oh, actually, I see several others have said the same. Hmmm, as Artie Johnson says, Veeeeery In-teeerrrrr- est-ting. It may not be the best Artie Johnson impersonation but, it'll do for now.

----------------------------------------------------------------

This thing about reverting to Win7 (god knows why it would happen)... just keep in mind, you do not, will not have a 2nd chance. If one has the revelation that they should have stayed w/ Win10, you don't have the Free Offer available twice.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 43918
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-06-29 at 01:31.