Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Headphones Problem

I was getting no sound on my headphones in either Win 7 or Win 8, but I solved the problem by configuring my speaker setup to quadrophonic, although I only have 2 speakers and a subwoofer, and that worked. I can have sound from the speakers and headphones at the same time, although that's not what I want of course, or I can turn off the speaker volume and just listen to the headphones.

I'm only posting this in case it helps any other lounge member.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How do you have your speakers and headphones connected that allow them all to work at once?

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,I should explain that I am blind in the right eye and had a cataract removed from the back of the left eye, and the glasses I wear do not give me much peripheral vision. I only mention this because due to lack of space my Tower is on my desk and the back of the Tower is quite close to the wall in front of me, and I cannot move the Tower to a position where I can see the back. When I had problems with hearing anything through my headphones my Son In Law experimented with the audio inputs, and finally tried connecting only one of the two headphone jacks, and then I could get sound working in both speakers and headphones at the same time, having set my speaker setup to quadrophonic. Obviously, in practice I either turn off the speakers and listen through the headphones, or put the headphones to one side, turn on the speakers and listen using them.

Cheers, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Two headphone jacks, that's not usual. Are they both on the same card?

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, maybe I used the wrong terminology. The wire connected to the right headphone ends up with two "pin" connectors, for want of a better technical description, and only one is plugged in.

Cheers, Roy

Roy Whitethread

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Not trying to get you to use the right terms, just interested in how you got it to work.
    Normally, there are 3 sockets on an audio card, Line in, Line out and Microphone. You connect your speakers / hi-fi / headphones to Line out, via a 2.5mm plug and off you go.

cheers, Paul

25mm-stereo-plug-connector-plastic-1.jpg

Thanks
    The headphones might be a headset, with both headphones and a built-in microphone, this would account for the two connectors on it.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    satrow, you are right, it is a headset with a built in microphone. (I use my Logitech webcam microphone for Skype calls).

Roy Whitethread