Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Recimg utility not working on new laptop with SSD...

Three week old Asus Zenbook UX305FA-USM1- with Win8.1, 256 SSD.
    I read all of Fred Langa's articles using the new recimg utility in Win8 and decided to give it a try. So I did as Fred did in an admin Command Prompt window:
    recimg /createimage C:\RefreshImage

The following message displayed immediately:
    The recimg.exe command-line tool is not supported on this PC.

That seemed ridiculous... I was just getting to like Win8.1 and now this? Has anyone else had this issue using recimg in Win8.1?

I'm currently in the process of downloading Macrium Reflect (free version), but I would still like to use recimg.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I can see why MS have quickly moved on from Win 8.1 http://pureinfotech.com/2013/07/10/w...-image-backup/

I hope they've restored the Win 7 method of creating a system image in Win 10.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Possibly because that laptop uses some incompatible form of disk encryption:

Note: If you use encryption products such as TrueCrypt, VeraCrypt, or Boxcryptor that create “containers” with assigned drive letters, you can’t make custom system images. If you try it, Recimg will simply fail with a generic error message. For more information and a workaround, see the Dec. 11, 2014, LangaList Plus, “Why VeraCrypt won’t work with Windows 8.”
    Mastering Windows 8’s backup/restore system

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This article displays the command written slightly different to what you have posted http://pureinfotech.com/2013/07/10/w...1-full-backup/

Sorry - don't have a Win 8.1 machine to check this out, but from the pics in the article, that cmd was accepted - if that was on a Win 8.1 machine and not Win 8.0.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I can see why MS have quickly moved on from Win 8.1 http://pureinfotech.com/2013/07/10/w...-image-backup/

I hope they've restored the Win 7 method of creating a system image in Win 10.
    It didn't disappear in Windows 8.1 (see Update at the end of that article); it's still in Windows 10 (complete with scheduling): Windows 10 Feature Focus: Backup and Recovery

But because recimg Custom Refresh only deals with OS and apps, it's a better companion to File History/OneDrive.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2015-06-28)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This article displays the command written slightly different to what you have posted http://pureinfotech.com/2013/07/10/w...1-full-backup/

Sorry - don't have a Win 8.1 machine to check this out, but from the pics in the article, that cmd was accepted - if that was on a Win 8.1 machine and not Win 8.0.
    Looks the same to me. What's the difference?

I don't think the command entry is incorrect here.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Possibly because that laptop uses some incompatible form of disk encryption:
    I'm not aware of any encryption going on... and I would be quite surprised if Asus had anything like this going on hidden from view.

By the responses so far, my situation seems to be rather unique... and frustrating. Although Macrium Reflect (free) is popular, it is taking some time to figure out... whereas the recimg command line was so simple.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Looks the same to me. What's the difference?

I don't think the command entry is incorrect here.
    In the article the cmd had _ as separators in the latter part of the cmd.

I'll have another look at that article as I'll need to know how to create system images in Win 10 - thanks, Bruce.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In the article the cmd had _ as separators in the latter part of the cmd.
    But only in the target folder name, which can be named anything you want.

And that folder is created by the recimg command, if it doesn't already exist.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-06-28 at 17:40.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was just going by the example cmd window in the article.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rlah View Post
    By the responses so far, my situation seems to be rather unique... and frustrating.
    Yep, sorry, I'm out of ideas why it should not work.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rlah View Post
    Although Macrium Reflect (free) is popular, it is taking some time to figure out... whereas the recimg command line was so simple.
    By all means find out why recimg is not working for you, but in the mean time MR should not be that hard. If you can boot to a usb drive easily on your system I would suggest making an Macrium PE booting USB drive and using that to do your images. The new version seems to have auto verify but I would 'browse' the image file while sill booted to PE just to be sure before.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I did this today. But only because Asus phone support strongly referred me to their own "Asus Backtracker" utility for image backup. The agent seemed to understand my desire for recimg, but was persistent in pushing their Backtracker for my purpose. When I pressed him on the fact that recimg would not destroy the 3rd party app installations, he was inconsistent in whether I would have to reinstall these after refreshing from their image. In the end, after our conversation, I investigated their utility and found the image Restores and Refreshes just like Windows 8.1... i.e. their Refresh would require re-installing all 3rd party apps... sigh.

Now back to the purinfotech.com method Sudo15 mentioned... it worked very smoothly, I sent the image to an external USB HDD. But now I'm worried about how to Refresh from this image. The article assumes I have a "DVD or USB media with the Windows 8.1 installation files" at the ready... but I don't. Asus includes no such thing with this notebook. Unfortunately I'm supposed to figure this out on my own. I suppose I could use the USB stick that the Asus "Backtracker" creates, but who knows for sure? (Ah, for the ease of using my Chromebook...)

Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    By all means find out why recimg is not working for you, but in the mean time MR should not be that hard. If you can boot to a usb drive easily on your system I would suggest making an Macrium PE booting USB drive and using that to do your images. The new version seems to have auto verify but I would 'browse' the image file while sill booted to PE just to be sure before.
    OK, I'll put the effort into figuring out MR. I think someone (RetiredGeek?) suggested its method of creating a bootable USB stick (or whatever) was a desirable bonus. Do you know if there is something like recimg in their process that would preserve not only user data but also 3rd party app installation?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That seems to be the Catch 22 with Win 8/8.1's Refresh/Reset - you need installation media but vendors no longer supply install media.

However, all is not lost as this article on how to perform a repair install of Win 8/8.1 gives a download button for either and instructions in how to create the bootable media.

https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructi...8-and-8-1.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast