Thanks

Will I have to have a 3rd party booter?

I have XP pro on C: with win7 home premium as a dual boot in my 1st disk, if I install win 10 as another primary in my disk 2 will it have 3 boot options or will I have to have a 3rd party boot manager?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As I understand the process as it now stands, Win7 and Win8.1 will have to be running to get the free upgrade. That could damage your dual-booting. I understand that after doing the upgrade one can do subsequent clean installs. Haven't a firm grip on it yet but it seems doing the upgrade and wanting to go back to Win7 or Win8.1 will require installing from the Factory Restore discs. If you buy the Retail version of Win10 you most likely could install on its own partition similar to how you did Win7 after WinXP. I don't dual-boot anymore after having too many problems.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-06-28 at 21:04.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could P2V your XP installation and run it on a VM in Windows 7 or 10. No need to dual boot then.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    if I install win 10 as another primary in my disk 2 will it have 3 boot options
    Yes...essentially you'll have a triple boot....which I have done on my laptop with 7/8.1/10 and there will be no need for any 3rd party application.

Thanks
    Oh wait...just caught the last part of your question. Do you have 2 physical HDD's? Are you wanting to put 10 on a separate HDD? If so there is a process you have to follow to keep the MBR's separated.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    I have XP pro on C: with win7 home premium as a dual boot in my 1st disk, if I install win 10 as another primary in my disk 2 will it have 3 boot options or will I have to have a 3rd party boot manager?
    My understanding is that W10 uses the same boot mechanism as W7 & 8, and it will, if left to its own devices, find and include the options to boot XP & W7 in its boot sequence. I don't think it matters which disk you install it to. If you don't want it to take over all boot operations, disconnect the 1st disc when you load W10, then reconnect after and find a way to control which disk starts (BIOS option, 3rd part tool etc).

Once you are running, EasyBCD may help you fine-tune the setup.

I mistakenly left my XP disk connected when i first installed W10, and it took over - and you might think 'so what?', but the W10 boot sequence is very slow cf XP, so I re-instated XP and installed W10 withe the XP drive disconnected. then I set up triple booting using Grub4DOS.

I hae since installed an SSD and put XP on it, and experimented with installing W10 after it (in another partition) and letting it control boot, which would now be super-fast, no? Well, no! The W10 alternate-OS boot sequence appears to send the PC back to the BIOS setup (it powers off the PC), so you have to wait while W10 nearly loads, then wait all over again while your other OS loads. So W10 is back on a separate drive and Grub4DOS is in charge.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mngerhold For This Useful Post:

Jagworld (2015-07-01)