Thanks

Upgrade of Win7 Ultimate on 7/8.1 Pro dual boot

I setup a bootable USB with my IP 10130 ISO and launched setup.exe from within Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop (after I had made a fresh drive image with Image For Windows). The Windows 7 Virtual XP Machine is not compatible with Windows 10. Of course, I went all the way to the "What to save" screen before I found that out. So I backed all the way out, went into Programs > Add/Remove Windows Features and unchecked the virtual machine, and started over.

It took a while, but everything other than the virtual machine seems to be working. I even got a screen that said "Sorry, it's taking a little longer than usual" Haven't seen that one before.

The dual boot was preserved, Windows 10 became the default in the boot menu, but Windows 8.1 Pro still launches when selected and everything on that side works as it should as well.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have MS removed virtual XP? Are we supposed to use another VM or abandon XP?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Have MS removed virtual XP? Are we supposed to use another VM or abandon XP?
    The virtual machine that was part of Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate is not compatible with Windows 10. I haven't found a virtual machine capability in Windows 10. May be there, but I haven't found it yet.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This tenforums post seems to indicate hyper-v is included.
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    ... same as Windows 8: No Virtual PC or XP Mode; and Hyper-V only in Pro, not Home.

Thanks
    I made mention of the Windows 7 Virtual Machine and XP mode for those who might be upgrading to Windows 10 who have XP Mode running in their Windows 7 PC. It must be manually uninstalled in order to upgrade to Windows 10.

It is incompatible with Windows 10, but the Windows 10 installation doesn't get rid of it for you—so instead of getting that far and then having to start over, get rid of XP Mode and disable the Virtual Machine before attempting to upgrade to Windows 10.

Unleash Windows