New Lounger
    Thanks

Monitor for poor eyesight

I have an aging user that her eye site is degrading and finding a monitor has been difficult. They've been using a standard ratio 19" screen for the longest time set to 800x600! It's terribly inefficient due to the amount of scrolling needed.

Last year, I tried a 23" wide screen monitor (Asus VH236). I left the resolution at 1920x1080 and bumped the font to 150%, but that only changed a handful of fonts. The title bars and icons grew - but all of the text in the various programs were too small. Plus half the windows/prompts wouldn't fit in the screen and would need to be resized (i.e. error screens, pop ups, etc.) I gave up trying to make that work when they put the monitor back to 800x600. I put the old 4:3 ratio 19" monitor back and used the 23" elsewhere.

I updated our ERP software recently and it will no longer function in the 800x600 resolution. The screens won't resize to get the icons needed to function. I had to adjust the resolution to 1024x768. The ERP software is able to function, but the user is having difficulty seeing it.

I tried to find a standard aspect (4:3) monitor on Amazon, but can't find anything. I did a quick search, and it seems like that would be limited to a 19" monitor anyway. I'm thinking a 22-24" monitor that can display in 1024x768 could solve this dilemma. I took a 22" monitor I had from another user and set it up. It's running 1024x768, but has a black bar to the left and right of the screen - its essentially functioning as a 19" standard aspect monitor. I know it won't be go to keep functioning like that so I need a better solution.

What's everyone else been doing with this problem?

Thanks
    How about a 24" 1920x1200 (16:10 ratio) in the vertical mode, 1200px wide but very tall? Better for many computer uses, not good for watching movies/TV. Could lead to less scrolling but in full screen browsers etc, a lot more vertical neck 'exercise' for the user, probably not so good for extended or very frequent usage, especially in the first week or so.

Depending on the version, there are a number of baked in problems that you might have to face when increasing Windows' font size, some of which you are likely to be aware of already. These might include blank Control Panel applet screens and other oddities. The later the version, the fewer of these are likely to surface.

To workaround most native Windows/font scaling issues it's probably better to keep the default font % and use free 3rd party software where possible, tweaking the scaling/font sizes individually in those programs.

Thanks
    Have you tried magnifier? In Win 8 just start typing magnifier on the start screen, not sure about Win 7 and below.

Thanks
    Make a suggestion to your client that he get an eye exam and update his prescription.
    (This is actually what I've had to do a few years back and my monitor is a 28 inch, 2560x1440 res)

There is no reason why a person with properly scripted eyewear can't see & work on any monitor
    with just the minimal of OS tweaking.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Make a suggestion to your client that he get an eye exam and update his prescription.
    (This is actually what I've had to do a few years back and my monitor is a 28 inch, 2560x1440 res)

There is no reason why a person with properly scripted eyewear can't see & work on any monitor
    with just the minimal of OS tweaking.
    Yeah if you want to put your nose up against the screen!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Yeah if you want to put your nose up against the screen!
    You obviously don't have ageing eyes.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You obviously don't have aging eyes.

cheers, Paul
    Eh?? if so that may be the only part that isn't.
    I am thinking the difference is whether one starts as Near or Far sighted, I was near sighted.

Don't get too close to the emoticons they may be contagious.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a Windows 7 machine.

I tried the magnifying glass briefly. I found it pretty confusing to use and not really productive. If I'm having an issue with it - I can't imagine the trouble it would bring to her.

I don't know if glasses could help. She does the shipping, so she's going back and forth from the monitor to the shipping papers constantly. I know nothing about the eyes but I can bring that up.

So there's NO ONE that makes a 4:3 monitor anymore? There has to be a market for it as the workforce that's on the computer all day ages.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Monitors are made from the cheapest type of display fabrication available and that format is something around 16:9. 4:3 just doesn't fit the standard fabrication process without lots of waste.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are still some around. These ones have Pivot which will increase the length of screen that can be read once it is turned 90 degrees...essentially like reading a letter. Great for PDF docs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...NG&PageSize=90

https://www.microsoft.com/enable/guides/vision.aspx
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-07-02 at 00:14.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallBizTech View Post
    ...So there's NO ONE that makes a 4:3 monitor anymore?...
    It's out of my field of expertise, but I seem to remember attending customers who had their computers connected to 4:3 TV screens. Such would probably need a HDMI port on the computer and on the screen, but I have seen TV screens that had analog/DVI inputs also.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    There are still some around. These ones have Pivot which will increase the length of screen that can be read once it is turned 90 degrees...essentially like reading a letter. Great for PDF docs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...NG&PageSize=90

https://www.microsoft.com/enable/guides/vision.aspx

Thanks - I should have checked newegg. A 19" should do the trick. She was on a 17" so this should be a decent upgrade

Thanks
    What about using a TV? Of course they're 16:9 mostly, but if that would work, then it's a fine solution.

I've had bad eyes even with new prescription glasses for years, but two TVs at the back of the desk work like a champ for me--with the browser bumped up to 125%. Yes, really.

When I was searching for large monitors years ago, I saw TVs recommended, so I tried a cheap one. That was the answer to my problems, so I got a second within weeks. TVs were a lot cheaper than larger monitors back then, probably less of a price difference now. The two I have are:
    Main screen - Apex 42"
    Secondary - Acer 36"

Bit of a hassle to set them up for PC mode initially, but they've been great for everything since--office work, watching Netflix, playing latest big games. I run them at 1920x1080, I'm fairly sure that's their max as it's the HD size for TV. Of course there are higher res than HD for TVs these days, can't comment on those.

Btw they both have VGA, DVI and HDMI ports, so I imagine anything recent will be fully tricked out with all necessary ports.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2015-07-02 at 22:00.