New Lounger
    Thanks

Need Some Information

I am using an older windows XP laptop to run a web-cam to view and magnify things.
    I have low vision and also use OCR and Text to speech.
    This computer does not access the web and the Wi-Fi card has been disabled.
    It has not accessed the Internet for over four years.

No Updates are wanted or needed for my use as a vision aide.

There is no security or other software (requires web connection for updates) on this
    machine except what is needed for the above use.

This is mainly to prevent damage or changes that will interfere with my use of this machine.
    It is used to allow reading of medication labels and such.

Now the battery has failed and the laptop is over 8 years old and needs to be replaced.

If I buy a new laptop to replace this one can the newer version of windows be used completely off-line.

Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 or should I try to find a windows 7 laptop.

Thanks

re2s

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do you use it as a portable? If it's always plugged into AC power you could just use it without the battery.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-07-01)

Thanks
    If I buy a new laptop to replace this one can the newer version of windows be used completely off-line.
    Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 or should I try to find a windows 7 laptop.
    Yes, but I too would consider just keeping the device plugged in if you can get by without the battery.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was thinking it's seen 8 years and uses obsolete parts had the fan blown out. The guy said he was afraid to do much to it because some ribbon cable always breaks when being disassembled. It is No Longer Available .

I think I will go to some Mom and Pop store if they are any left and see if someone there knows the answer about the operating systems.

I am sure there is no answer for windows 10 yet.

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The only issue I've ever had with leaving the battery out of a Notebook/Laptop is balance, some needed the battery in place for counter-balance to keep the Notebook from tipping when the screen was slightly beyond the 90.

Thanks
    I think you'll find that you can use any OS offline and stay offline without problems. So if you have to replace your laptop, you will be able to do what you want. The only issue is whether you need to be online to set it up with software/drivers for your particular needs. But once that's done then disconnect from the internet and use it as you have done with your current one.

The guys have just been stating that it may be possible to keep using your old laptop, but you're right; it's old enough that it could easily break with all the problems that would bring.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by re2s View Post
    ....If I buy a new laptop to replace this one can the newer version of windows be used completely off-line....
    Once your new laptop is up and running and running whatever app you use for enhancing your limited ability to see the laptop the OS will not need further updates since it is offline and presumably not having new things plugged into and out of it.

It is possible that Win8/8.1 will nag you more than Win7 about not having access to the Internet but I doubt it. Win10 strikes me as unlikely to be happy without online presence. But I suspect Win10 will still work.

Windows 7 will be an easier transition and more likely to run your app. And since you will operate offline updates are not important and its drivers for the chips on whatever laptop you purchase are stable. And it has more options to turn off updating so the nag factor is undoubtedly less than Win10. But support for Win 7 ends January 20, 2020. Again, you do not care. Plus again that will be around the physical lifetime of the new laptop.

Possible option: I also note if you buy a laptop with Windows Pro version (Volume licensing) you can still downgrade to any other Pro version including XP Pro. Though an ability to do this may be linked to the laptop maker support for a downgrade. And Windows 8/8.1 combined with hardware built in Secure Boot and UEFI introduces a new level of complexity in changing OS'.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/lice...de-rights.aspx