Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless Connection

I'm looking at possibly setting up three laptops with wireless networking cards to be used only in a peer-to-peer type situation when users are not able to connect to the LAN via an ethernet cable. From what I understand about wireless, I have to have an access point that I would configure with the network settings in order for the laptops to see and access the network. Do I still need an access point for the laptops to function in a peer-to-peer type situation where they would only try to communicate with each other and not a LAN? I'm thinking that I probably would still need an access point, but not sure at this time. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wireless Connection

Yes you do need an access point. Think of it as a hub for the wireless nodes.
    <big><big><font color=blue>Ian</font color=blue></big></big>
    Admin

Lounger
    Thanks

Just an FYI here for anyone who has read this post, or anyone looking for similiar information. I received the wireless cards, installed the cards and software that came along with them and they're able to see each other in a peer-to-peer situation without an access point. It was kind of surprising to me actually, but it works pretty slick. I guess the best way to find something out is to actually try it. I thought that I'd still need an access point, but I figured that I wasn't in that much of a rush to get this done, so I decided to just get the cards first and see what happened. Then I'd buy the access point if I need it. Turns out I didn't need it, so a little less of a headache for me.

New Lounger
    Thanks

How many PC's are on this peer-to-peer wireless network of yours, and do they share a broadband Internet access, or otherwise connect to a wired network?

Lounger
    Thanks

There's only three computers using the wireless cards at this time. I actually was using the wireless cards for doing some testing of software that will synchronize Lotus Notes databases. So we bought 3 Orinoco wireless cards for laptops and installed those. Then I installed the Orinoco client manager software on each of the laptops. After putting the client manager software on the laptops, I was able to make a choice as to what type of group to put the wireless cards in. They had a peer-to-peer option, an access point option, and one other one option that I can't recall right now. So I just chose to put them in a peer-to-peer group, and you just have to name the group the same on all the computers. It was all controlled by the client manager software from Orinoco. The laptops were already in the same workgroup on the Windows side of things, so that may make a difference too. We aren't using the wireless for broadband access or connecting to an access point or anything like that. We're simply using them in a setting where a group of users would be off a network somewhere and need to synchronize their Lotus Notes databases. Although we did do some internet connection sharing by adding a LAN adapter to one of the laptops and then running the internet connection sharing over the wireless. That worked pretty slick, but would be easier to have an access point. We didn't need the capability to connect to a network though. Just the ability to see the other laptops with wireless cards.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dragon:

I did some research after your initial test results. What I determined is that the peer-to-peer option should work if all the wireless devices have identical network cards. A mixture of desktop and laptop systems would normally have different cards and therefore need an access point.
    <big><big><font color=blue>Ian</font color=blue></big></big>
    Admin