Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Gots No Recovery Image

    Just did an Image backup. In the process I encountered a greyed out check box so was unable to collect a Recovery Image in the backup.
    Now this is normal but I have been unable to find out how and what I need to perform an image restore if needed without a recovery image..
    Could someone enlighten me ? References gladly accepted.

  2. #2
    3 Star Lounger KIWIpeteW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    263
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spark55 View Post
    Just did an Image backup. In the process I encountered a greyed out check box so was unable to collect a Recovery Image in the backup.
    Now this is normal but I have been unable to find out how and what I need to perform an image restore if needed without a recovery image..
    Could someone enlighten me ? References gladly accepted.
    Maybe Macrium Reflect Free may help.
    Last edited by KIWIpeteW; 2015-06-30 at 04:19.

  3. #3
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWIpeteW View Post
    Maybe Macrium Reflect Free may help.
    I used/have Macrium Reflect back in Sept 14 but did this time via windows procedure this time for experience/drill.
    I wonder if the earlier process removed the "recovery image" somehow?
    That would not be something I would intentionally do. Can I look at the FD contents from the Macrium and determine if the "recovery image" was saved there?

  4. #4
    3 Star Lounger KIWIpeteW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    263
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts

    Start over again.

    Quote Originally Posted by spark55 View Post
    I used/have Macrium Reflect back in Sept 14 but did this time via windows procedure this time for experience/drill.
    I wonder if the earlier process removed the "recovery image" somehow?
    That would not be something I would intentionally do. Can I look at the FD contents from the Macrium and determine if the "recovery image" was saved there?
    I take it you mean System Image Backup in windows has left you with a useless backup image that you probably can't use. I tried using System Image Backup with no success and Macrium Reflect worked for me with a backup image and bootable rescue disk. Don't know what you mean by FD contents so all I can suggest is to start over again with Macrium. You can do plenty with Macrium. Good habits as you put it "experience/drill". for backup procedures.

  5. #5
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWIpeteW View Post
    I take it you mean System Image Backup in windows has left you with a useless backup image that you probably can't use. I tried using System Image Backup with no success and Macrium Reflect worked for me with a backup image and bootable rescue disk. Don't know what you mean by FD contents so all I can suggest is to start over again with Macrium. You can do plenty with Macrium. Good habits as you put it "experience/drill". for backup procedures.
    OK U aint gonna believe this Martha but the aliens raced me home!
    Well not quite.
    I installed Mint-17 carefully pointing out it should install on sdb NOT sda (the windows internal disk). Of course I shudda know better. It did screw with sda -- not sure which of the 3 but think it was the recovery partition on the internal drive. Long story short an old old adage for S.A.s is "Write it down, stupid". So I had NO instructions on how to restore Windows. I grappled for a coupl 3 hrs fiddling with the GRUB2 and my first BU/Restor DVD which had been created but to no avail. At the end while putting away my tools it booted Windows (who says there ain't No aliens)!! Whew! Will copy off my instructions so there won't be another screw up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •