3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Password Box in Firefox

Been using add-on "Password Box" on Firefox browser for sometime now. Recently the Password Box icon did not appear in my menu bar. Checked add-on which indicated it is still installed. Can not find it or use it.
    Password Box is handy in remembering my passwords. It holds up to twenty-five items for free.
    Any suggestions on how to find and install back on my menu bar?

Thanks,
    Richard Spring

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RSpring View Post
    Been using add-on "Password Box" on Firefox browser for sometime now. Recently the Password Box icon did not appear in my menu bar. Checked add-on which indicated it is still installed. Can not find it or use it.
    Password Box is handy in remembering my passwords. It holds up to twenty-five items for free.
    Any suggestions on how to find and install back on my menu bar?

Thanks,
    Which version of Firefox? I'm using version 38.0.5 and checking the Add-ons available does not show Password Box. There were 86 entries found about password and box but not that one. Is it possible your Password Box is installed but not Enabled [usually have to do that]? It may be too old to keep up with newer versions of Firefox [I've had to give up on a few].

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton: I am using the same 38.0.5 Firefox. In fact it updates automatic which could be the problem.
    I went to "Firefox", "Add-on" and found Password box listed in my installed add-ons. I "disabled", then "enabled" it several times, but still can not find the icon in menu bar. The version of Password Box is 1.38.11.4170 and has been installed for a year or more.
    Richard Spring

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    25 passwords is nowhere near enough. I suggest you get a proper password manager that you can use in any browser / program.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ssword+manager

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul:
    The 25 password limit is for the free version. They have a paid version with much more capacity.
    Does anyone know whether Password Box is still available or have they pulled it?

I will check out the other managers you mentioned if it is no longer available.

Thanks,
    Richard Spring

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since Password Box seems to be dead and gone I am trying a program called DashLine. It seem to work very well so far. Anyone have experience with this program?
    Richard Spring

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RSpring View Post
    Since Password Box seems to be dead and gone I am trying a program called DashLine. It seem to work very well so far. Anyone have experience with this program?
    I haven't, but I think you'll find it is called Dashlane.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why yes it is Dashlane. Guess these old eyes are in need of a tuneup.

It actually is working very well. It has you login with your master password each time you open your browser. It asks if you want to save a website password. You have the option of "Never at this site". I appreciate this because on Password Box I had to turn it off so it would not record certain passwords.

Thanks for your reply,
    Richard Spring

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That sounds exactly like the built-in password manager for firefox. Do you actually need an add-on one?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    External password manager are good because you can use them outside Firefox etc. They are also portable and can be used on other devices.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi folks. I am running FF 40 Beta and I also use Password Box. The problem seems to be that Mozilla are now requesting that Add-Ons be certified by them for (apparently) better security. The unfortunate thing is that they are using the "I want to run on FF please certify me", instead of certifying known GOOD programs. That is, they will wait to have an addon submitted to them before considering certification clearance. They also have no method for us to certify any known good guys add on. This means that now all uncertified addons are prevented from running. I have had to resort to using 2 Firefox installations (one in a none Program Files folder with a separately named icon on the desktop), installing FF 39 which still allows PW Box to run its toolbar.

I feel it is possible that FF 38 has been added to the disable uncertified addons because we really should be updating to FF 39 & keeping updated for the latest security fixes.

I hope this helps and/or gives someone a fix.

KS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Seem like this has happened before for me with an add-on "Morning Coffee". Some members showed me a workaround when it would not load.
    Like most "Good" things, the powers that be keep improving it until it is useless and does not work.
    Richard Spring

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know whether Mozilla is trying to drive away add on and extension builders or not, but it does seem so. CoolIris' CoolPreviews which I have used for years is no more, they've dropped it, CooIris has, though you can still find it on the net it won't be improved or supported any longer. Which is too bad as I have always found it useful. I surely do concur with RSpring - I've used Yahoo Mail for nearly 20 years and the very best version was the first - it had the most fonts and other options of any "improved" version, and each "improvement" is a step back in my view. Companies keep fixing things that aren't broken and often as not break them in the doing.

Thanks
    That does seem to be the trend, f with it until it is thoroughly f'ed.
    I am getting disgusted with a lot of stuff these days.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.