2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Old Programs still listed

I installed XP Pro on my machine, choosing the full install, rather than the upgrade. I was prompted that it could erase everything on my hard drive. This was OK with me since I wanted a clean install.
    I did not get prompted to insert a previous CD in order to install.

My question is: Even though I performed a clean install, my program files folder still lists the folders of the programs I had installed on the previous version of Windows. It is not, however, listed in my start menu, or in the Add/Remove program list.
    Will deleting the folders do any harm?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Old Programs still listed

You were a bit misled by the setup routine, methinks.

If you opted for a full install, that means that none of your previous program settings are stored in the Windows registry. As such it *should* - repeat *should* be safe to delete most of them. Some of those folders are shared components that Windows uses, so use extreme caution when deleting something, particularly if you are not sure what it is.

A better tactic would be to create a temporary folder somewhere on the hard drive and move things into it rather than deleting them - that way if something goes awry, you can copy it back to its original location and (hopefully) be right back in the saddle.
    -Mark