With the help of Scott Hanselman.

Rui
    -------
    R4

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2015-07-01),mosie (2015-07-26)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Prepare is okay, but Windows Anytime Upgrade is no longer available - a week before release of Win10

I went in to my wife's office this morning, ready to upgrade the last two Win7-Home PCs to Win7-Pro, in preparation for the Win10 upgrade coming "soon" (starting next weekend). Imagine my disgust when I get back a message saying that "Windows Anytime Upgrade is no longer available in your region". WHAAAAT! Its a week away from Win10 release. What a bad move by Micro$$oft.

Rob
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-07-18 at 21:04. Reason: 0 in title

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Another good piece about upgrading from HowToGeek - Update to Windows 10 Headache Free With A Pre-Upgrade Checklist.

Joe

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

bobdog (2015-09-18),cmptrgy (2015-09-29)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Another good piece about upgrading from HowToGeek - Update to Windows 10 Headache Free With A Pre-Upgrade Checklist.

Joe
    Good article. Thanks.

Thanks
    I upgraded a small tablet and a desktop PC to Windows 10, making a critical mistake. I assumed that the Get Windows 10 app was doing the same sort of compatibility checking as previous Windows Upgrade Advisors. That is not the case, by a long shot. The result was that both PCs had trouble running properly after Win 10 was in charge.

One particularly annoying problem was that my RAID array vanished. I believe but cannot prove that if I had updated Intel's Rapid Storage Technology driver first, this would not have happened. My belief is based on the fact that I could not get the RAID configuration back until after I updated IRST.

My best advice is to perform all hardware and driver updates before doing the upgrade. Be sure to include BIOS and chipset driver updates. Look for anything your manufacturer identifies as being necessary or "compatible" with Windows 10.

For my Dell tablet, I had no problem getting those updates because the support site identified my system and listed all the right stuff. For my DIY build based on an ASUS motherboard, documentation was poor and I'm still not sure I have exactly the right suite of updates.

Those Windows Upgrade Advisors were really good. The absence of a Windows 10 version is difficult to understand, especially since Get Windows 10 does not do the same, thorough job.