5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Prepping a Win7 PC for the Win10 upgrade

LANGALIST PLUS

Prepping a Win7 PC for the Win10 upgrade

By Fred Langa

As the launch date for Windows 10 rapidly approaches, a reader wonders about the best way to upgrade his complex Win7 system. Plus: Odd problems with command-line reboots; portable, install-free, virtual-machine software; and terrible advice from a service technician.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/prepping-a-win7-pc-for-the-win10-upgrade/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,

I have an older Dell 9200:

4GB RAM, 3GB usable;
    Intel Core2 Duo 6600 @ 2.4Ghz;
    brand new 1TB Western Digital Hard Drive (so all I have on it is what I want on it)
    Windows 7 Home SP1 32-bit
    2 DVD drives

I partitioned 150GB to use to install Win10 preview #10162 (downloaded from Microsoft and verified the SHA-1 key) and burned to a DVD (using Windows disc burn program) and a USB (using Rufus). I can not seem to get the Win10 preview to install from either media - the DVD activity light flashes for a while, I see the teal logo, and the spinning 'processing' circle at the bottom of the screen, but even after giving the install from each media type over an hour, nothing happens. I have a black screen. I also tried selecting the boot option as the computer starts, and changing the BIOS boot sequence and nothing different happened.

Just as a side, I also downloaded the x64 ISO for my laptop (running Vista Home SP2 - Core2 Duo T8100@ 2.1Ghz, 8GB RAM), and after partitioning that hard drive, successfully (and fairly quickly) installed Windows 10 onto my laptop.

In an effort to try everything, I put the x64 ISO DVD in the DVD drives, thinking that since it booted successfully in my laptop, the disc was good and I might get some sort of 'incompatible operating system' message in my desktop, but the boot from the x64 DVD also showed the teal logo, the spinning circle for several seconds, then nothing.

If I am having issues installing Windows 10 preview onto my desktop, does it mean that my desktop might not be able to handle Windows 10 (the MS upgrade assistant for Win8 said things were OK). Or are there some other options I can try to install the x86 Win10 preview onto my desktop?

Thanks.

Frank