Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Email: Drop the junk; keep your contacts

TOP STORY

Email: Drop the junk; keep your contacts

By Lincoln Spector

Moving to a new email address isn't as daunting as moving to a new house. But sometimes, it has to be done.

You need to make sure that all the right people and mailing lists get your new address; you don't want to share it with everyone.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/email-drop-the-junk-keep-your-contacts/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks
    As a related note, I use an old free version of MailWasher (1.32) on my Win 8.1 system that does an excellent job of sorting out spam and crap I don't want to see. It's now on version 7.5 and has a Pro version as well as the free version. Probably has more bells and whistles (and MB's) than I need, so I won't be upgrading, but it's definitely worth a try if anyone has spam control issues.

http://www.mailwasher.net/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WayneJDTuttle For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2015-07-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am a huge fan of having my own domain. Admittedly the web site associated with the domain is pretty minimal, but the real service is on the email side to control spam.

I also separate the domain's Registar, host and my ISP. If any one of these gives me grief, I can fairly quickly swap my services to another provider with little or no impact to my web site or email arrangements.

By having my own domain, I have a primary mailbox reserved for my most trusted connections. This mailbox is auto-forwarded to my primary mailbox with my ISP.

All other mail addresses, with an exception described below, flow into one catch-all mailbox at my domain, and are in turn auto-forwarded to a second mailbox at my ISP. No mail gets left on my domain host's servers - which is why I can quickly switch to another domain hosting service.

The exception to the catch-all account are specific mailboxes that are being abused. If I made up a new address on the fly for mail order company XYZ, like XYZ@mydomain.com, and I subsequently find that XYZ was actually a dozen affiliated mail order purveyors of stuff and the XYZ address was shared against my wishes, I can simply direct my hosting service's email handler to re-direct all mail to that address to trash rather than forward with the rest of the catch-all mail.

Finally, I use Outlook (the real deal, not web-based). I build rules to interpret the mail I get from those two ISP mailboxes to separate and process messages to my liking. For example, I don't dump everything into the inbox. There was a reason my primary mail goes to a separate mailbox, and I keep those streams separate in Outlook too so I can read the 'important' messages first.
    Jim Johnson
    Michigan's Lake Superior region
    How much snow do we have now?
    Visit Agate Reef

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Excellent article Lincoln!

Regarding your issue with AAA, I was able to change my email address simply by logging in and clicking the "Change email address" link on the landing page (see attached) Visiting AAA.com redirects you to a regional club page, and each regional page may be different.

aaa.png

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This may be a different subject, but information on how and where to report spam/junk email would be nice.

Thanks for the write-up, I have the same problem that I'm about to address.

RonB-TX

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You failed to mention the obvious option which would be to set up a mail redirect and optional auto reply on the email account you intend to discard to a new box used for nothing else. Unless you are changing ISP or is going out of f business, over the space of a year you will have caught any pesky emails you forgot about.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RonB-TX View Post
    information on how and where to report spam/junk email would be nice
    There is no point reporting spam as the commercial mail gateways all have spam filters and send the stats to the various spam monitoring sites. Even then the spambots just move to another compromised PC.

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Collins View Post
    You failed to mention the obvious option which would be to set up a mail redirect and optional auto reply on the email account you intend to discard
    The reason for changing is very often moving ISP and then you rarely have a choice about keeping the old address. Changing domain usually means you are not renewing the old domain, so again, you have no way to retain the old address.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Very good article on playing the Artful Dodger with spam. It is very tiring changing email addresses. Just recently, I have had an uptick in spam and yes, I have a new address in the wings. I still like the idea of charging some miniscule amount of money per email to maybe put spammers out of business. I understand this would also be a problem for organizations like Windows Secrets who are doing legal bulk mail. With all the spam and spam filtering going on (isn't it around 90% of all email?), what a sigh of relief the whole Internet would have if we could stop spinning our wheels around all that spam. But then how would we ever get a chance to make millions of dollars in Nigeria?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The worst is when you have an organization that uses your email address as your login! I went through this all a few years back when I was getting tired of dealing with my then-ISP. I knew I'd be moving and could easily have to go through the whole process a second time, so I created my own domain just for email.

I actually have 18 different addresses, when you combine personal and business (two different domains). Given the amount of email I receive every day, it's a lot easier to have it pre-sorted by type of business (I'm very active in several organizations, so each has it's own address -- Org1Dave @ xxx, Org2Dave @ xxx, etc.). The most important, though, is PublicDave @ xxx, which is the one that gets used for sites like Facebook that publish your email address whether you want to or not (that's changed for FB, of course -- the default is their own email system, which I never use, but there are others). The spam filter is well trained and I see almost no garbage in my inbox -- but a LOT in the junk folder!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Great tip on Blur, Lincoln. Will check it out.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Eric
    I agree with the auto-forward other than Paul's caveat. You can add a filter (like his gmail example) to mark those ones as distinct in one mailbox. If you use an email client like Thunderbird, 2 Inboxes also make sense.

You have to be careful with auto-reply though. For example, many newsletters will have a noreply account with an auto-bounce on it. The autoreply goes to the auto-bounce, and gets tossed back. That gets another auto-reply, and so on. In other words - less suitable for an email account you use for web sites.
    Last edited by DavidFB; 2015-07-02 at 15:03.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My website gives me 500 email address. I simply make a new one for any sites I visit that need one for me to get information or make a one time purchase. It only takes a few minutes and if i start seeing spam or other junk to that address it's gone. End of problem. I've only changed website names once in 15 years as like in the article the first one just seemed dumb after a while, but in the same time I've changed ISP's 6 times. Since I really don't use the address given to me by my ISP I've only had to go through the notify everybody of change in address once.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A question about Blur.
    I already use a Password Manager I like.
    I see you can turn Blur's password manager off for all web sites
    https://dnt.abine.com/#help/faq/faq-...ementSettings2

Will it conflict with another manager though? Anyone using them combined?

Thanks
    I have a domain name running into desktop Outlook but only a select group of trusted people have that address.

For most email communications, forum and website registrations and so on I use either one of my 7 Gmail addresses or a true disposable address from spamex.com ($10/year for 500 email addresses).

I have over 300 of these addresses active right now. They all dump into ONE email account that you must provide. Unlike what Spector mentioned about Blur, if I reply to a spamex email, the service scrubs all other email references, so no clues are given as to the real email. Well worth $10/yearly, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast