5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 install & OneDrive

I purchased a refurbished Windows 7 64-bit Win7 laptop I want to give to my son as a gift. Since we live quite a few miles apart I set up the computer at my home: that was the easy part.

However, now I have 2 dilemmas to deal with

The first one involves installing Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013
    It did install without any issues; however, I used my Microsoft account to install it
    --- Well, that was a mistake
    --- How can I eliminate mine? Will I have to call Microsoft to uninstall what I did and start over?
    OK, just before I installed Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 I did create a restore point
    --- If I revert back to that restore point, will that eliminate the install I did?
    --- He doesn’t know whether or not he has a Microsoft account but I believe he uses outlook on his vista laptop
    --- If I can do that, will Microsoft bark back about a different user than me?

The second one is OneDrive
    --- Is it usable on Windows7: is there a tutorial for it?
    --- When installing Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 finished installing, it showed how to access OneDrive in Win8.1 but nothing about Win7
    --- I did some web searches and even though some of them indicated Win7, windows 8.1 was what showed up when opening that link
    --- Should I forget about OneDrive? Maybe use SkyDrive instead?

Thanks
    Skydrive became Onedrive because Sky TV objected to the name Skydrive. As far as I'm aware, Onedrive will work on Win 7 as well as Win 8. When you install it you'll get a folder called C:\Users\Name\OneDrive. All you need to do is copy files to that folder and it will upload them to MS's servers (aka the cloud). You can mark them as online only or available offline. The former means they are no longer on your PC, but can be downloaded quickly enough. The latter means they are on both the cloud and your PC. Should you have another PC with Onedrive and the same account, then the files will be available on that as well.

I used to think that copying files to the Ondrive folder meant they were duplicated. They're not, the Onedrive folder is just a link to the files in your PC (or the cloud). So, e.g. if you have a file called documents\Greenbin.doc and you copy it to C:\Users\name\OneDrive\Documents\Greenbin.doc, any changes you make to the original will be reflected in the cloud version. If you mark it as online only, then it is removed from your PC but can be accessed and edited from your Onedrive folder.

As for Office 2013, I'll let others comment.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-07-01)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I called Microsoft a while ago. Yup I'll to live with my mistake. This certainly is one of those times I should have inquired about any gotchas before I started: I wouldn't have minded waiting to install the Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 when I get to his home: I just had in mind that I could give my son a nice Win7 computer as good as new and ready to go. They did give me a number to use if I decide to "cancel" my software and I was told I'll even get a refund but that's at least a 3 month process.
    Anyway, Happy 4th everyone