Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 and Office 2003

As someone who is a devotee of Office 2003 on Windows 8.1, can anyone please tell me if they have tried using Office 2003 on Windows 10 and, if so, what their experience has been. The MS guidance says they are not compatible but they said the same for Windows 8. Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Victor, greets.
    I would be some surprised if you O2003 would not run in W-10. I am on W-10 here and I use Office 2000, all of it and experience nary a problem. I also run old software, PF2000, Paint Shop 6, Larousse dictionary from W-98, they all run true. Be gusty and hope for the best. All good wishes, Jean.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

Victor Delta (2015-07-02)

Thanks
    IIRC, the incompatibility was for an obscure function which I doubt anyone uses. 2003 ran without hitch on my 8.1, so I wouldn't think there would be any problem on 10.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

Victor Delta (2015-07-02)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you. I'm certainly hoping it will work but would still be interested to hear from anyone out there who's actually done it...?

PS I'm surprised (and impressed!) to hear that O2000 works on Win 8.1. I gave up trying with O2002 on Win 8 owing, amongst other things, to the password system incompatibility problem on Outlook.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Delta View Post
    Thanks to both of you. I'm certainly hoping it will work but would still be interested to hear from anyone out there who's actually done it...?

PS I'm surprised (and impressed!) to hear that O2000 works on Win 8.1. I gave up trying with O2002 on Win 8 owing, amongst other things, to the password system incompatibility problem on Outlook.
    I don't use Outlook but Office XP runs quite well on my system under Win 8.1. Access triggers a UAC window but runs fine after I respond. No problems with Word and Excel. Haven't tried it under Win 10 - waiting for official release.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I run Office 2003 and components of Office 2007 on Windows 10. Since I did not care for the Ribbon in Office 2007, I installed the full Office 2003 Pro on the Windows 10 test mule. The mule is a spare PC Dell Precision T-7400 dual CPU accessed with a KVM switch. It is running a Samsung Pro 850 SSD and 8 gigs RAM with a clean install of Windows 10 which is constantly updated. I installed Outlook 2007 due to a better calendar and added in Word 2007 and Excel 2007 just for kicks, but the install sits beside Office 2003 rather than replaces it. I know that's not the best idea, but this is a test mule computer with nothing important on it. No problems running either version of Office Pro. I also run Open Office to view any spreadsheets or Word docs just to test that software as well. My main PC is Windows 7 - but I am a diehard Windows XP Pro user with several backup standalones running it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Word and Excel run just fine. Now is the time to experiment before the official release so go ahead and install it.
    I have no need for access, and had a few issues with Outlook under Win8.1 so I did not install either of them under win10162.
    You'll also need the Office compatibility pack to open word and excel files made with later versions of office. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/923505

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I must say the compatibility that is being reported for Win10 seems to be quite (very) impressive; not just exclusively in regard to Office but, in general.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now that the production version of Windows 10 has been available for almost a month, can anyone comment on how Office 2003 works in practice on it (as opposed to the earlier test builds) and whether there have been any problems?

Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Now that the production version of Windows 10 has been available for almost a month, can anyone comment on how Office 2003 works in practice on it (as opposed to the earlier test builds) and whether there have been any problems?

Thanks.
    I put Office 2003 on my Win10 release version without problems. I have basic needs for it so can't speak to the more advanced features.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Victor Delta (2015-08-25)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I put Office 2003 on my Win10 release version without problems. I have basic needs for it so can't speak to the more advanced features.
    Thanks Berton, that's very helpful. Can I ask if you use Outlook 2003 and whether you've had any problems with it? That's the only 2003 programme I had some difficulties with on Windows 8/8.1.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Berton, that's very helpful. Can I ask if you use Outlook 2003 and whether you've had any problems with it? That's the only 2003 programme I had some difficulties with on Windows 8/8.1.
    I don't use Outlook, prefer Webmail, have a setup provided by my Domain Hosting Service [also has a decent filtering of SPAM]. I had installed Office 2003 to test for a client, they was happy.

New Lounger
    Thanks

It works

Thanks.
    We (me and my wife) use Office 2003 pro with Win 10 on 2 lap-top and 1 desk-top, Outlook on HP ProBook, Dell Studio 1745 and Fujitsu Esprimo P4xx.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been having problems with 2003 on my install of W10.
    The programs, I use Word, Excel and Publisher, occasionally use Powerpoint and Access but have not tried them yet. They open but then when I try to use the file system, to Open a file or, if I have created one from scratch to Save it, and that's when it dies. I just get a spinning icon and a (Not Responding) in the Title bar. I have tried running the compatibility troubleshooter and that did not fix anything.
    I was previously using W8.1 and would have a problem when saving a file. The first time I tried to save a file, it would crash but then the 2nd time onward, it would work. I put up with it but was hoping W10 would fix that. Nope.
    I went into Settings to try and run Repair but the only option was Uninstall. I did go into the old Control Panel and run the Repair option but it locked up. I am going to try that one more time and then Uninstall and Re-install and see what happens.

Thanks
    Could I specifically ask whether anyone has tried running a presentation from PowerPoint 2003 (probably SP3) in Windows 10? The presentation a friend wants to run is fairly simplistic, textual slides and pictures.

The question is whether to stay on Windows 7, or move to Windows 10 and hope the presentation will work. [The usual "Why don't you try it?" reply is not a particularly practical option in this circumstance...]
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast